Thread: Why are my Raw images not fully colored when I upload to my site?

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Why are my Raw images not fully colored when I upload to my site?

I take pictures in RAW and I process them in photoshop CS5 then save them in jpeg so I can upload to my website. When I upload them, the photos are not in full colour. The saturation is very low and it looks like the images colour is taken out. Its really frustrating.
    How do I make it so the image looks like it did after I fully edited it?
    Thanks!

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Re: Why are my Raw images not fully colored when I upload to my site?

Quote Originally Posted by Canonman13 View Post
    I take pictures in RAW and I process them in photoshop CS5 then save them in jpeg so I can upload to my website. When I upload them, the photos are not in full colour. The saturation is very low and it looks like the images colour is taken out. Its really frustrating.
    Thanks!

Before you save are you converting the color profile? In CS5, under the 'Edit' tab, go almost all the way down and there will be a tab for 'convert to color profile' you probably want to convert to sRGB.

It is probably something along the lines of Mary's suggestion but there are a number of possible causes.

Which colour profile do you use for shooting? If shooting Jpeg, Adobe RGB is the best but often the difference is unnoticeable so sRGB is the easiest.

When shooting Raw, which colour profile do you use when converting Raw to Jpeg? There is an option at the bottom of the screen. Once again Adobe RGB is normally fractionally better but probably won't notice.

The internet will not show Adobe RGB correctly.

And finally, as Mary said, if you use the Save for Web menu you get another chance to choose the profile.

Personally, to save myself from confusion, I use sRGB for shooting Jpeg, on the rare occasions when I do this. Or change the Raw files to sRGB Tiff when converting the Raw images. Tiff is usually a better option for long term storage but it does mean an extra step if you want to send the images to the web as jpeg.

If you don't use the Save for Web option, as I often don't; you won't be offered the opportunity to change the colour profile.

So, initially, I suspect this is where things are going wrong.

Although for some operations I get problems if I have adjustment layers and need to merge them with the background first.

Real Name
    Mark

As others have stated it is simply a color profile mismatch. Your native color space is probably adobe rgb. Before you save then as jpegs make sure you use "Edit" - "Convert to profile" - Choose sRGB. This will almost certainly fix the problem.

Real Name
    Nigel Holmes

Quote Originally Posted by Canonman13 View Post
    Thanks!
    Are you using any specific software to design your website or displaying pictures using something like Flashplayer etc as these add on's require specific parameters when displaying pictures. You have to get file size and pixel count just right for optimum quality. There are other rules as mentioned above that also need to be followed closely or your pics will look wrong. While I cant guarantee a fix, if you PM me your web address I can take a look and hopefully offer you some advice.

Cheers
    Nigel.