Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Best lens options on budget

Real Name
    Brandon Goffner

Best lens options on budget

Hi forum,

I just purchased a Nikon D7000 so I'm excited about using it. I also have a D80. Before I get started i understand that glass is slightly more important than the body... depending on the photographer. I am a amateur (slash) semi-pro photographer when it comes to the technical part of photography.

Ok after getting that out of the way I need help with some lens options u guys have experimented with they may not be the best of it's class but gave shocking results given the price.

I currently own a 50mm prime, a 28-55mm i just ordered, a 28mm & a 18-135mm kit lens. Im going into wedding/portrait photography so im looking for a wide angle, & any other sizes you guys recommend. And remember temporary budget until winter.

Thx

Real Name
    Donny

Re: Best lens options on budget

Quote Originally Posted by bgoffner View Post
    Hi forum,

I just purchased a Nikon D7000 so I'm excited about using it. I also have a D80. Before I get started i understand that glass is slightly more important than the body... depending on the photographer. I am a amateur (slash) semi-pro photographer when it comes to the technical part of photography.

Ok after getting that out of the way I need help with some lens options u guys have experimented with they may not be the best of it's class but gave shocking results given the price.

I currently own a 50mm prime, a 28-55mm i just ordered, a 28mm & a 18-135mm kit lens. Im going into wedding/portrait photography so im looking for a wide angle, & any other sizes you guys recommend. And remember temporary budget until winter.

Thx
    If you are looking for wide angle maybe I can suggest the tokina 11-16mm.. So far I'm very satisfied with it..

Real Name
    Brandon Goffner

do u have some sample shots u can show?

Real Name
    Donny

do u have some sample shots u can show?
    Nikon D7000 + Tokina ATX 11-16mm Pro DX

Last edited by Dons; 15th July 2011 at 07:55 AM.

Real Name
    John

Hi forum,

Thx
    Do you think you need the wide angle lens for wedding photography or would it be used for landscapes and cityscapes?

Real Name
    Bill S

I would probably avoid any wide-angle lens that has barrel distortion for wedding photography myself... It might work for one or two shots now and then depending on the couple's personalities and whether they would like that kind of alternative shot, but in general, I would think folks would shy away from it.

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

Brandon,

I totally agree with Bill regarding the use of UWA lenses for wedding (and most people) photography. The natural distortion of UWA lenses are not flattering and women, especially, dislike the results of being photgraphed with UWA lenses.

Additionally, I would strongly suggest that you get a back-up camera before you shoot any wedding.

MURPHY'S LAW OF PHOTOGRAPHY: The chance of a piece of equipment failing is in a direct relationship to the importance of the shoot and in an inverse relationship to the availability of back-up gear!"

The excuse, "Sorry folks, my camera quit!", is just not an option when you are enlisted to shoot a wedding or any other important, once-in-a-lifetime (at least, we hope it will be) event.

Real Name
    Robin

For professional looking portrait/wedding photography you are going to need something long, not wide, and with a large aperture. Now the ideal lens for the job is the AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 VRII but that is not a budget lens by anyones definition.

As your zooms lenses are 'kit' level or just above I'd use them as a last resort and stick with primes for now to get the best quality/best look to your shots for the least outlay. First off I'd go for a 85mm f1.8 (new or used they're all excellent) then I'd start putting the money from the weddings you do towards a couple of pro f2.8 zooms. The AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 first then the 70-200mm I mentioned above. When they are sorted the Nikon D700 replacement should be out (it had better be as it was meant to be out nearly a year ago now and lots of photographers are waiting for it) and that would be your next step giving you a proper Pro kit.

All I've said assumes you are going to be charging for your wedding photography and intend to do it properly - its the most important day in many peoples lives and as photographers we have a duty to capture it at the best possible quality.

Real Name
    Bill S

Probably just as important as the right lenses, you probably will want a good flash or two on a bracket to get it off the camera... churches are rarely the best lit places in the world...

- Bill

Real Name
    Richard

Regarding brackets... I personally prefer a camera-flip bracket to a flash-flip bracket. I ALWAYS bounce my flash (usually with a diffuser/reflector) and a camera-flip bracket will keep the flash pointing in the correct position when shooting in both the portrait and the landscape positions.

Stroboframe brackets can be had rather inexpensively, used, on eBay. You will do best with an off-camera sync cord; although some cameras can fire the flash cordlessly. However, my Canon 7D only achieves perfect wireless triggering indoors. Outdoors, it is hit and miss and depends on the angle and brightness of the sun as well as the proximity of the subject.

I personally like the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro ( www.dembflashproducts.com ) to modify my bounced flash. However, I have noticed a Chinese knock-off of the Flash Diffuser Pro on eBay recently which runs $14.95 with free shipping.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    However, my Canon 7D only achieves perfect wireless triggering indoors. Outdoors, it is hit and miss and depends on the angle and brightness of the sun as well as the proximity of the subject.
    Really?

I bought a sync cord for my 580EX II, but have never used it because the wireless has worked in every condition I've tried it in. Including the flash base pointing away from the camera's pop-up flash...

- Bill

Real Name
    Brandon Goffner

think you guys for all the advice. i was thinking wide angle for some of the shots. just different stylistic approaches... i do understand that the ideal lens is the 70-200mm. Can anyone explain to me y is this the ideal focal length for portrait photography? And i guess my question shud say... " I am saving for the 70-200mm" is there any suitable replacements until then? Primes etc?

Real Name
    Donny

think you guys for all the advice. i was thinking wide angle for some of the shots. just different stylistic approaches... i do understand that the ideal lens is the 70-200mm. Can anyone explain to me y is this the ideal focal length for portrait photography? And i guess my question shud say... " I am saving for the 70-200mm" is there any suitable replacements until then? Primes etc?
    I don't know about the ideal focal length but this lens is my dream lens.. I've tried the 70-200mm VR f/2.8 and i think it's the best lens I've tried... Sharp, fast, can shoot micro and very nice bokeh....