Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Guru Dongmar Lake

Real Name
    Ravjeet

Guru Dongmar Lake

this lake is at 17600 ft in north sikkim...
    Guru Dongmar Lake
    Comments and critique welcome
    Regards,
    Topchi

Real Name
    Michael

Re: Guru Dongmar Lake

Wow, what a location. Beautiful spot. It looks as though the highlights are clipping on the mountains and clouds, is this due to editing?

Real Name
    Ravjeet

No.. infect i reduced the highlight as this place is at 16800ft and too much of UV... that leeds to overexposure...When I am trying to reduce the highlights but clouds are losing its sheen... in actual you cant see these mountains with naked eye...its so bright.

and thanks for Wow
    Last edited by Topchi; 13th July 2011 at 09:58 AM.

Real Name
    John Wright

What a wonderful location, that's quite an altitude too, part of the Himalayas I see. I think a polariser would have helped here.

Ravjeet- I'm fascinated by the diversity of photos we see on this forum and certainly the fact that they come from around the world, places I've never heard of, so I had to take a closer look at this location. This makes a fascinating read and I'm sure others will find it very interesting too. http://www.east-himalaya.com/sikkim/gurudongmar.html

Real Name
    Ravjeet

thanks...John....exactly the similar photo is uploaded there also...yes.. i need polorizer....actually i got limited equipment...so...its ok.. i am still learning...if you interesred i will upload more of this location....please comment so that i can improve

Real Name
    John Wright

Yes, I'm sure others would like to see more of this location. As you have this mountain range on your doorstep or at least within reach I think a polariser is a priority - just make sure you get a decent one because you have stunning scenery where you can use it. Hopefully you'll get some cc on this .I have to dash of out but a quick comment is that it's a bit difficult separating parts of the white mountains from the white clouds and also that lake horizon isn't quite level. I'll come back on later or tomorrow if back home too late tonight and see if someone can give you some good advice, I mean it looks ok apart from the exposure issue on that snow.

Not quite sure where the 'other exact photo is' you mentioned..I thought you meant in the link I posted but I don't see it there-well ,not in the exact spot you took yours from .

Real Name
    Ravjeet

OTHER VIEWS OF GURU DONGMAR LAKE
    Guru Dongmar Lake
    PLEASE CHK IT

Real Name
    Ravjeet

Guru Dongmar Lake

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Hello;

Lots of potential here...

Try this ...

Very low POV, and hyper-focal distancing using the rock on the shore line as your focal starting point. Place a standing rock group in the bottom left corner. Use a very wide-angle lends - small f-stop and frame a few feet of the water rock pile. Eliminate the standing POV, and over presented shore line.

Get low and get close to a rock group, shoot wide and straighten out the horizon line... "POP" you'll have a real keeper...

paul

Guru Dongmar Lake

best I could do without re-shooting the image
    Last edited by paulwilbur; 13th July 2011 at 08:14 PM.

Real Name
    Ravjeet

thanks... nice recomposing... i will keep in mind... what about photo with colourful flags above this photo..

Real Name
    Chris

Gangtok...I have heard of this area though never been there, Nepal as close as I ever got to that end of the world,,,beautiful area at the base of the Himalayas...goodness, this forum does so well to shrink the world...until of course, one takes a look at Gangtok on Google Earth...so far away, yet so very close. Those mountains are just stunning.

Real Name
    John Wright

I really like the flag photo and that's a great improvement with your second photo,Rajeev-what a difference and Paul's enhanced it even further so the concentration is on the mountains, it's more balanced.

Real Name
    Ravjeet

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I really like the flag photo and that's a great improvement with your second photo,Rajeev-what a difference and Paul's enhanced it even further so the concentration is on the mountains, it's more balanced.
    thanks...
    problem over there is that it is so bright that you hardly see your LCD or view finder... most of the time focusing is approximation. all the time i was wearing raybans.. but my eyes were watering...

I really like the picture with the prayer flags. It looks like the lighting might be slightly different in that one, also the blue sky directly above the mountians in the picture that follows really makes them come alive. thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Ravjeet

Quote Originally Posted by Sabemajeen View Post
    I really like the picture with the prayer flags. It looks like the lighting might be slightly different in that one, also the blue sky directly above the mountians in the picture that follows really makes them come alive. thanks for sharing.
    thanks alot