Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Little field at the forest's edge

Real Name
    Jim

Little field at the forest's edge

I had got up really early hoping to find something interesting in the forest. After about an hour of stumbling about in the half dark making vain attempts to fight of the zillion mosquitoes that were attacking me I gave up. By that time the sun had managed to get above the trees and brought a beautiful warm glow to the forest edge. I took several shots both with and without the ovrhanging branches but settled for the latter as these focused the eye on the sunlit part of the image. Feel free to comment - there is no more cruel criricism than a charitable silence.

Little field at the forest's edge

Real Name
    Seri

Re: Little field at the forest's edge

Hi Jim,

I really like it, especially that lovely strip of sunlight contrasting against all the dark tones. The grasses in the front are perfect too. I'm afraid I can't find anything to criticise, but doubtless someone more experienced will

Sorry you had to endure the mosquitoes, and also for your stumbling around in the dark, but haven't they invented torches up there in Sweden yet?

Seri

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

That is a lovely, peaceful scene of calmness. And it is a well constructed image.

I would suggest that the lower half of the left-hand third of the image (from directly below the lowest leaves on the overhanging branch) is, however, much duller and darker than the rest of the image. It looks like this area is in shadow whilst the rest of the image is in sunlight.

I don't think it's a problem that some is in shade and some in sunlight. But I do wonder if it would help the image if you were to lift the brightness of the area that I refer to? There are many ways to do this. I would use 'dodge' techniques. I do not think it has to bee equal to the rest of the image in brightness, but to be slightly lighter would, I think, be helpful.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    That is a lovely, peaceful scene of calmness. And it is a well constructed image.

I would suggest that the lower half of the left-hand third of the image (from directly below the lowest leaves on the overhanging branch) is, however, much duller and darker than the rest of the image. It looks like this area is in shadow whilst the rest of the image is in sunlight.

I don't think it's a problem that some is in shade and some in sunlight. But I do wonder if it would help the image if you were to lift the brightness of the area that I refer to? There are many ways to do this. I would use 'dodge' techniques. I do not think it has to bee equal to the rest of the image in brightness, but to be slightly lighter would, I think, be helpful.
    Oh my gosh. I can log off forever now. I was looking at the image and thinking waht a nice peaceful image it was. And, that I really enjoyed the composition. But, that I thought the left hand lower corner needed a bit of brightening... not much, just a little. Then... I read Donald's post and I was thinking the same as 'The Donald.'

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Oh my gosh. I can log off forever now. I was looking at the image and thinking waht a nice peaceful image it was. And, that I really enjoyed the composition. But, that I thought the left hand lower corner needed a bit of brightening... not much, just a little. Then... I read Donald's post
    Great minds think alike!

and I was thinking the same as 'The Donald.'
    But that one is called 'Trump'. And he's angered about half the population of Scotland with a golf course resort development (huge hotel and lots of houses) that he's developing along the north-east coast on a site formerly designated as an important scientific and environmental resource. Half the country think he's a vandal who has cajoled and flattered local and national politicians into selling out on our natural environment, whilst the other half think he's a great guy who's bringing investment and employment to a fairly rural area.

His plan is to get The Open (The British Open Golf Championship - one of the four world majors) played on the course. The general opinion of the golfing community seems to be - 'Go take a hike son. You don't buy your way into our sporting heritage'. We'll see what happens when the cheque books start waving about!

Real Name
    Jim

Thank you for all your comments. That left hand corner was in the shade of a big, very old oak. I used my on-camera flash to lighten up the branches a bit (quite chuffed with myself for remembering to do that). I'll have a go at lightening up the ground as well. Thanks again

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

But that one is called 'Trump'.
    Totally wrong Donald. But, Trump Towers is fun to walk through...