Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: High ISO fun

Real Name
    Chris

High ISO fun

This isn't particularly real high ISO (1250), but I discovered by using a high pass sharpening, then reducing the noise (specifically the color noise), then resharpening using a conventional sharpen range (I think this was 110, 1.4, 3), the image took on a rather painterly quality. Probably helped that it was shot right at dusk.

I did use a number of new layering techniques I learned while at my workshop and applied a low opacity version of the Jiro Effect prior to doing any sharpening.

The second image is not post sharpened for the web...hmmmmmmm, I think I might like it better and it may be it works better because of the new sharpening techniques I am experimenting with. Opinions?

Critiques and comments always welcome.

High ISO fun

High ISO fun

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: High ISO fun

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    The second image is not post sharpened for the web...hmmmmmmm, I think I might like it better and it may be it works better because of the new sharpening techniques I am experimenting with. Opinions?

Critiques and comments always welcome.

High ISO fun

High ISO fun
    I do prefer the second Chris - because the first appears to have too wide a radius (and amount?) of sharpening applied.

My post downsize sharpen is (almost) never more than 0.3px radius and the amount usually between 60 and 100%. Threshold as low as possible; 0, 1, 2 or 3 max. if necessary (i.e. noise an issue after resize due to my excessive cropping), I'd undo the resize, de noise then down size and sharpen again.

I played with various sharpening methods a while ago and have settled on USM in preference to the others, mainly because I'm ignorant and lazy (no actually, I'm very serious about that; I really am)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Chris

I've already gone that route as I kept looking at the non-post sharp image and decided I liked it best as well...I was at .3 and 0 but was at 147 on the tops side..brought that down to 78 and it cleaned up well.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 5th July 2011 at 11:23 PM.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I prefer the second. The first looks almost unreal.

Where was that image taken?

Real Name
    Chris

Hampton Beach

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Hampton Beach
    That's what I thought.