Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Colour or B&W

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Colour or B&W

Greetings

I am putting a photo album together and can't decide between colour or B&W for this one. I would appreciate your opinions please. It was taken near Keswich in the Lakes District of England.

Colour or B&W

Colour or B&W

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Colour or B&W

What did you 'see' as you composed the shot and pressed the shutter? Was it the colour in the scene? Was it the lines, the shapes, the textures? Therein lies your answer.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    What did you 'see' as you composed the shot and pressed the shutter? Was it the colour in the scene? Was it the lines, the shapes, the textures? Therein lies your answer.
    I'll have to think about that a bit but probably the latter.

Dave

Real Name
    Jarno

Hi!

Nice photo!

I'd say that the bw is better, but it'd be better without people. Photo itself is nice landscape shot, but with color it's perfect with people as you can see there are green, blue and red displayed and for me it looks better. This is just my opinion and I guess both of them are good for show...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I'll have to think about that a bit but probably the latter.
    Dave

At the risk of teaching granny how to suck eggs (do you have that expression where you come from?), it is that exercise of asking yourself 'Why am I taking this shot?' that will increase your observational skills enormously and, I believe, contribute significantly to the development of your skills in photography.

For what it's worth, I think you have a potentially magnificent B & W on your hands with this one.

I don't know how you grade your post-processing skills. But with a little work (For example, I'd want to crank up Local Contrast Enhancement), this one would really fly. I think it's a lovely composition.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by jappe View Post
    Hi!

Nice photo!

I'd say that the bw is better, but it'd be better without people. Photo itself is nice landscape shot, but with color it's perfect with people as you can see there are green, blue and red displayed and for me it looks better. This is just my opinion and I guess both of them are good for show...
    Jarno thanks for that. Dave

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Dave

At the risk of teaching granny how to suck eggs (do you have that expression where you come from?), it is that exercise of asking yourself 'Why am I taking this shot?' that will increase your observational skills enormously and, I believe, contribute significantly to the development of your skills in photography.

For what it's worth, I think you have a potentially magnificent B & W on your hands with this one.

I don't know how you grade your post-processing skills. But with a little work (For example, I'd want to crank up Local Contrast Enhancement), this one would really fly. I think it's a lovely composition.
    Donald thanks for your comments. We do have a saying about "how to suck eggs" but I'm not sure that Granny gets a mention in it. In my case, I've still got a lot of learning to do about "sucking eggs" and I think you are spot on about "why am I taking this shot ?". I have to try and look further than "this looks good, I'll snap it".

I'm very much a beginner with pp. I'll have another go at this shot. I think from memory I fiddled with Unsharp mask and Sharpness and settled on Sharpness but I'll revisit that.

Thanks again for your positive encouragement

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Steve

Nice shot dave, i vote for the b&w also.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Thank you Steve.

I've done a bit more processing as Donald suggested and come up with this. Unfortunately I can't process a RAW file because this was taken about 3 years ago when I only had a travel compact.

Colour or B&W