Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Irresistable

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Irresistable

I am trying out some techniques that I have learned here. In this first, I tried to replicate Jiro's work flow. Adding a b&w layer with blend mode set to luminosity, plus some of his other steps, really brought some pop to this variety of echinasea (sp, sorry)

Irresistable

Manual mode, ss 1/50, f8, ISO 800, focal length 150.

This is a sideways view of my front flowerbed. I live in an older mobile home, and have put in raised beds around to hide the underpinning.

I am trying to get comfortable with using my on camera flash as fill. Again trying to understand how everything works together. There is a hummingbird in the lower right third. I (foolishly) hoped to do a better job of capturing him. Would high speed flash have helped? I don't know anything about it.

Irresistable

One more, then I will call it a night. While waiting for hummingbirds, so I could practice using a flash in addition to ambient light, this sparrow presented itself. I couldn't resist. I know it is rather mundane, but any chance to practice.

Irresistable

C&C as always, welcome.

Marie
    Last edited by Marie Hass; 3rd July 2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: added more pictures

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Irresistable

#1 and #3 is just wow, Marie. Good composition and separation of main subject to background. #2 is so busy that it's quite hard to find out which is the main subject among the things inside the frame. The added white borders made your shot quite professional to look at. Your practice and patience are paying off! Well done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    I am trying out some techniques that I have learned here.
    And they're working.

I hope, Marie, that you're recognising that learning that you have achieved and that you're now putting into practice. It's wonderful; to see this development taking place in a person. I still get a kick when I realise I'm applying a new skill or perfecting some aspect of photography that, previously, I knew nothing about.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Marie Hass View Post
    I am trying out some techniques that I have learned here.
    And they're working.

I hope, Marie, that you're recognising that learning that you have achieved and that you're now putting into practice. It's wonderful; to see this development taking place in a person. I still get a kick when I realise I'm applying a new skill or perfecting some aspect of photography that, previously, I knew nothing about.

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Marie, #1 is just... really beautifully done.

Real Name
    Ahmed

Mari,

#1 is really beautiful and can be used a wallpaper.