Thread: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 or Canon 12-22mm f3.5/4.5?

Real Name
    Mark

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 or Canon 12-22mm f3.5/4.5?

Just about to take the plunge on my new photography gear to replace that which was stolen.

Just a check of opinions please?

Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 (~$570) or Canon 12-22mm f3.5/4.5 (~$760)? Predominantly landscape use.

I had the Sigma and loved it but I like the idea of an all Canon set, being a 7D, 24-105mm L, 12-22mm and one day the 70-200mm f4.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 or Canon 12-22mm f3.5/4.5?

IMO, there is nothing holy about Canon, although they manufacture some outstanding equipment. If you "loved" the Sigma, it is a known quantity for you. On the other hand, Canon quality control is sometimes a bit stricter and buying Sigma is sometimes related to playing a lottery.

Finally, perhaps you might consider the 12-24mm f/4 Tokina Mark ii or the 11-16mm f/2.8 Tokina. Both of these lenses have their proponents. I use a 12-24mm f/4 Tokina Mark i and really like it!

Some photographers have complained that the Tokina Mark i has flare problems (I have not experienced them with my copy) but, the Mark ii is supposed to be better at flare control. The price in the USA of the Tokina is considerably less expensive than the Canon and the Tokina, like the Sigma, provides a lens hood with the lens.

Real Name
    Robin

Canon every time (can't believe I just typed that) it is a fabulous lens. Not only is it optically better than the Sigma, the focus is better, the build is better and at 77mm it's easier to put filters on. One of my staff has it on his 7D and the results are crackin'

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Ok I had a 10-22mm and although not a pro I thought at times I tended to rely on the lens rather than on the feet, by this I mean when you have a WA lens you see the scene out comes the tripod on goes the WA and you zoom in and out to get what you believe to be the best composition (makes you lazy). As i have never used anything but Canon I cannot give an opinion to other makes what I will say is YOU ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!, You can get some great pics with the 70-200 also with prime lenses only differance you have to move your feet rather than the zoom barrel and sometimes because you take that little bit more care over the composition you get the better photograph in many ways. JMO
    Russ