Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Greenhouse

Real Name
    Al

Greenhouse

This is a shot of the greenhouse at Biosphere2, a famously failed "experiment" (some say "circus act" would be a better description) from the 80s. I really like the combination of sky and pyramid in this shot, and I'm trying to bring out a lot of detail in the clouds, while still retaining some overall balance. The perspective distortion is clearly visibie, but I kinda like the effect... it seems to add to the diagonal lines leading to the line of clouds on the right. C&C is much appreciated.

Greenhouse

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Greenhouse

A very nice one Al. The only thing that catches my eye is that bit of the structure at the extreme left hand side that 'goes the other way', if you see what I mean! It seems to upset the harmony. Would it be worth cloning it out?

Real Name
    Al

Thanks, Donald. I hadn't noticed it, but I agree with you. Here's another one from an adjoining greenhouse. I'm still working on a B&W version of this one.

Greenhouse

Real Name
    paul wilbur

Good day!!!

I've looked at these photos a couple times wanting to figure out what was and is going on and the real subject. Alas, with out the text the image doesn't tell me what, where this picture is....

Cure for this is really simple... tell your story with out words by a proper environmental setting, ie show more location and size perspective in your composition then, really, then the image will stand without narrative. (Working for 3 newspapers taught me to "tell the story" without text. aka documentary / photojournalism.

One last look said to me: shoot from a 3/4 angle vs frontal also will help tremendously
    paul

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

Biosphere 2 I remember what a huge thing that was! I'm picturing in my mind all the news clips from when that was all getting started. Crazy. I noticed that little extra on the left as well. Looks like fun place to shoot with all the angles and shapes. Thanks for sharing.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by paulwilbur View Post
    Good day!!!

I've looked at these photos a couple times wanting to figure out what was and is going on and the real subject. Alas, with out the text the image doesn't tell me what, where this picture is....

Cure for this is really simple... tell your story with out words by a proper environmental setting, ie show more location and size perspective in your composition then, really, then the image will stand without narrative. (Working for 3 newspapers taught me to "tell the story" without text. aka documentary / photojournalism.

One last look said to me: shoot from a 3/4 angle vs frontal also will help tremendously
    paul
    Thanks, Paul, but these are not intended as documentary/journalistic photos... to me the subject is really the interesting shapes and patterns of the greenhouse and the clouds. I do have other shots from the same location are more documentary in nature, but for the shots I posted in this thread, the what and where are really beside the point. I like the B&W photo because the cloud pattern above the pyramidal greenhouse looks a bit like a glass volcano, and there's a lot of interesting detail. To me, it doesn't really matter that this is a greenhouse, but I agree that the 1st shot does lack a sense of scale, although viewing a larger size image with more visible detail does help. There were some plants in the foreground that helped convey the size, but I cropped them out as distractions. Perhaps the title of the thread is misleading. The bit about this greenhouse being part of Biosphere2 was just an incidental fact that I thought might be of interest and mentioned in passing, but it's certainly of no importance for the purpose I had in mind in these images.

I also have some shots from the 3/4 angle where it is immediately obvious that the structure is a greenhouse, but I like these shots better. The B&W photo was deliberately composed to capture the clouds above the building from that particular angle to capture the "glass volcano".

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Biosphere 2 I remember what a huge thing that was! I'm picturing in my mind all the news clips from when that was all getting started. Crazy. I noticed that little extra on the left as well. Looks like fun place to shoot with all the angles and shapes. Thanks for sharing.
    As of yesterday (July 1st), the facility is now owned by the University of Arizona, and some legitimate science is now being done there (none of which involves locking people inside... these projects just need a really big greenhouse). Thanks for commenting, Mary.

Real Name
    Al

Couldn't resist adding just one more.

Greenhouse

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Now, that one is much stronger and could easily pass as an excellent abstract art. Any chance you could show it in b&w, Al?

Real Name

Nice one. Great place for angles... Really interesting.
    Much better for photography than Biosphere 2!

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Now, that one is much stronger and could easily pass as an excellent abstract art. Any chance you could show it in b&w, Al?
    Thanks, Jiro. Here's a quick take of the B&W version. I think this needs a little more work; personally I'd like to see a bit more detail in the sky, so I may try to improve on this later tonite, when I have more time.

Greenhouse

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    Nice one. Great place for angles... Really interesting.
    Thanks, Lucy... and I agree. The exposed latticework of the greenhouse promises many interesting angles, but the inside tours are limited to specific walkways, and move at a pace that makes exploring the angles and setting up a shot difficult. I do intend to revist the place with a wider lens.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    Thanks, Lucy... and I agree. The exposed latticework of the greenhouse promises many interesting angles, but the inside tours are limited to specific walkways, and move at a pace that makes exploring the angles and setting up a shot difficult. I do intend to revist the place with a wider lens.
    When I first looked at the last one, I was using my phone. Looking at it here on the desktop... WOW! Excellent shot.

Real Name
    Al

OK, somebody please make me stop... I'm out of control here. Yet another greenhouse shot...

Greenhouse
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 3rd July 2011 at 07:18 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    OK, somebody please make me stop... I out of control here. Yet another greenhouse shot...
    It's okay, there is medication available!

We'll let you know when we get bored with these and you can start taking it!

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    It's okay, there is medication available! We'll let you know when we get bored with these and you can start taking it!
    Well if you're threatening me with the stuff from Rob's cabinet, I definitely have mixed feelings about that. I mean, the man does take a mean photo, but the side effects...

Real Name

Don't stop... They really are great shots.