Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Poppy and Lupine

Real Name
    Wayne

Poppy and Lupine

In this shot of a poppy and her friend, I basically just wanted to display the brilliance of the two main colors. I realize that the photo is not your typical flower shot since so much of the background is black, but on the other hand this harsh darkness is precisely what helps the poppy shine (and the lupine also, although to a lesser degree).

I am quite satisfied with the composition. The curved gesture of the lupine seems to want to embrace the fiery poppy, but, hey, not too close: you don't want to get burned!

You will notice noise in the greenery. Do you find this disturbing, or can we just leave it in place as part of a somewhat impressionistic picture?

Thanks for taking a peek. It's my first submission.

Wayne

Poppy and Lupine

Re: Poppy and Lupine

Firstly, this is a nice composition. Secondly, did you use flash? I'm not sure what to think about the light on these - it seems a bit unnatural. Having a dark background to pop out the subject is tres chic around here! The only thing is that the pattern of the leaves are a bit busy - it would have been nice if you could have, possibly, used a shallower dof so that it could be blurrier.

I absolutely love the coast of British Columbia and, the gardens....wow!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Poppy and Lupine

Quote Originally Posted by waha View Post
    Thanks for taking a peek. It's my first submission.
    And it's a good one.

As you say, it's not a 'typical flower shot' and that is its strength. You have developed a concept and pushed out the boundaries of conventional thinking. And whether the majority like the idea and its execution or do not (I do) is, in some ways, not the main point. It's the fact that you've developed your own vision and turned into an actual image, that's the real point. Well done.