Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Trying Out On Post-Processing

Real Name
    Abner

Trying Out On Post-Processing

Hello all. I am a silent reader of this forum and rarely post or contribute as I feel I need to learn heaps. I tried for the first time to edit a portrait of my nephew. I will be humbled if you guys will comment on what I did.

This is the image SOOC which is unfortunately taken using jpeg format:

And this is the end result of what I did:

Thanks for your time...
    Last edited by Amhornedomd; 30th June 2011 at 02:45 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Trying Out On Post-Processing

I think you did fine on the edit. You whitened the eyes and the teeth, though personally I would probably back down a little bit on the whitening of the eyes as it doesn't look natural anymore. I wish you had retained the original background so that the shot wouldn't look like it was pasted on another new background due to the deletion of the small hairs on the head. Before you give this shot to your relative I suggest you add just a little bit of sharpening to make it more "alive". For me you really did good on this one, Abner. With some more practice I know you can make it better in no time.

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    I think you did fine on the edit...For me you really did good on this one, Abner. With some more practice I know you can make it better in no time.
    Thanks a lot, Willie. Salamat po! I was just bothered by the chair that's why I tried to remove it and changed the background... It's good to hear that I did quite well on my first attempt. BTW, I incorporated one of your technique here (B&W layer in luminosity blend mode). It's a shame though that I shot this on jpeg.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Shooting in Jpeg is not really that bad or ugly. It could actually help you learn a lot about nailing the exposure right. A jpeg image has a smaller exposure latitude compared to RAW so if you can expose your shots that well in jpeg mode that means you're really good. However, we cannot deny the fact that RAW has a lot of advantages, too so why not go safe, right? I always shoot RAW even if it means I need to spend some extra time on the conversion and processing. For me, it's worth the extra effort to come up with a more acceptable shot than cursing myself later getting mediocre ones and lose those precious moments forever.

I think you have done a great job and I prefer the new background. Do agree that the eyes have been whitened just a little too much but otherwise well done!!

Real Name
    Abner

Quote Originally Posted by Cerian View Post
    I think you have done a great job and I prefer the new background. Do agree that the eyes have been whitened just a little too much but otherwise well done!!
    Cheers!