Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Focus magic

Focus magic

Hey all!

I found out a software called "focus magic". It claims that it can undo "blur and recover lost detail. It can repair both out-of-focus blur and motion blur (camera shake) in an image."

Is it really as good as it claims?

Real Name
    David

Re: Focus magic

Hi Blazing Fire - Re your question - it all depends on what you mean by "as good as it claims". Focus Blur cannot take a badly focussed image and make it into a pin-sharp focussed image, and I don't think the company would claim that. It can take a moderately badly focussed image and restore some considerable focus so as to show detail that would otherwise be hidden. For slightly out-of focus images, I've found that it does work well. Also, it does have very good capabilities for sharpening even well-shot images by simply applying a very low "blur width" (1 or 2) at 100%. The software is probably worth the money just for that. I have not used it for motion blur, but that looks harder to do.

Overall, as a package Focus Blur does what it does reasonably well and I would recommend it. On the other hand, not even the most powerful deconvolution software can make a silk purse out f a sow's ear.

Cheers

David

Administrator
    Real Name
    Sean

Also, check out this thread on Focus Magic & Image Deconvolution techniques in general:
    Focus magic & other image deconvolution techniques

Thank you for answering my question! The link has helped me understand the software better.

Real Name
    Chris

Sorry I didn't spot this one earlier

FocusMagic is excellent for correcting Movement Blur; not convinced its better than careful use of unsharp mask and/or high pass. Maybe slightly better on small flowers eg taken on rainy hikes.

There is an example of MB correction in my NX2 guide (a case where I cease to be purist and go off to PSE!)
    http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/image/107822547