Thread: Is a Canon 2x lens extender a good idea?

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Is a Canon 2x lens extender a good idea?

I am looking for a cheaper way for having a longer focal length. I have a 50mm f1.8, a 75-300mm f/4.0, and a regular 18-55mm kit lens. I was wondering if I should get a 2x lens extender. I would use it for zoo photography or whenever I really need it. How is the quality of the extender and how would the picture quality be.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Is a Canon 2x lens extender a good idea?

Tyler,

I don't think the Canon extender works with any of the lenses you listed there. There are third party extenders that may work (I have a Kenko 2x tele-extender) but their quality is not as high as the Canon ones.

- Bill

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

The canon 2x extender says it works with ef lenses. The 75-300 mm lens is an ef mount. I know the kit lens will not work. I think I am going to buy a Tamron 2x teleconverter.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Canonman13 View Post
    The canon 2x extender says it works with ef lenses. The 75-300 mm lens is an ef mount. I know the kit lens will not work. I think I am going to buy a Tamron 2x teleconverter.
    It only works with any prime lens 135mm or larger, and the 'L' zooms. You will also loose autofocus with any min. aperture of f/4 or more. On top of all that, the image quality of the 2x isn't the greatest.

You can make it work on the 75-300 with an extention tube between the lens and extender. You will loose auto focus and you won't be able to focus to infinity either. There is really no shortcut to more focal length. You will pay the price somewhere.
    Last edited by Steve S; 25th June 2011 at 04:32 AM.

Personally, Tyler, I would say you are wasting your money if you want good quality results. I wouldn't even try a 1.4x with the 75-300 lens and there is no point in using one on your other lenses.

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Personally, Tyler, I would say you are wasting your money if you want good quality results. I wouldn't even try a 1.4x with the 75-300 lens and there is no point in using one on your other lenses.
    You are right, I went in and checked it out. Its more work for a Higher price. If I had a wide aperture, say 2.8 then it would make sense.

Real Name
    Steve

You are right, I went in and checked it out. Its more work for a Higher price. If I had a wide aperture, say 2.8 then it would make sense.
    Even if you had a lens that was 2.8, it still might not work. The back of your lens has to have a hollow spot for the extender to fit into. Any lens that you can see the glass on the back, won't work with an extender.(unless you use an extention tube for a spacer)

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

When I checked the extender at the camera store, it worked well with a 70-200mm f2.8 lens. The aperture was at 5.6. I don't even know if I am going to get one. It sounds kinda goofy. Might as well just get a 100-400mm f4 lens.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Might as well just get a 100-400mm f4 lens.
    No such lens as far as I'm aware. There is an EF100-400mm F4.5 to 5.6L IS USM - great lens in it's day, but optically it's not as good as the newer 70-200mm vairents - it's a bit "long in the tooth" now.

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    No such lens as far as I'm aware. There is an EF100-400mm F4.5 to 5.6L IS USM - great lens in it's day, but optically it's not as good as the newer 70-200mm vairents - it's a bit "long in the tooth" now.
    Thats what I meant....

Tyler. Let's start again here.

How big do you want to go and how deep is your wallet.

Yes the Canon 70-200 lenses are excellent and in a totally different league to your 75-300. But is 200 sufficient for your needs?

I have the 70-200 IS (the 'cheaper' version not the 2.8) and it works well with a 1.4x converter.

Also, I have the Sigma 150-500 OS which gets you a decent amount of zoom for a realistic price. But it is possibly a little slow to use and heavy. I regard it as a special use lens, not a walk around lens. The quality is surprising good though. But the downside is that I don't recommend using it wide open. However at F8 to F10, or a little more, it produces good results.

Originally, I was going to purchase a Canon 100 - 400 which is still popular with many wildlife photographers but eventually thought that the extra length of the Sigma would be useful. Some people don't like the 'push/pull pump' action of the 100-400 although others say that you soon get used to it.

Real Name
    Tyler Berge

Thanks, that helps a lot!