Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Stella in Hard and Soft Focus

Real Name
    Janis

Stella in Hard and Soft Focus

Was playing with the Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on the weekend and got some reasonable pics of Stella. I like her expression in this one

ISO 200, f/7.1, 1/200

but I think this one is better composed

ISO 200, f/2.8, 1/200

Would be pleased to know what you think and what suggestions you might have for improvement.

rob marshall

Re: Stella in Hard and Soft Focus

Janis

She is a very attractive dog - is she a full German Shepherd?

I prefer #1 as it has more contrast, and the catch-lights in her eyes are much better. In #2 that bush on the left is too bright.

Where does she sleep?

rob marshall

I did an edit, if that's OK. I reduced the background brightness and saturation (I might have gone too far), then boosted Stella's contrast. You can get around these problems if you have a flash. Meter for the background, then use the flash to 'fill' the detail in the foreground.

Real Name
    Janis

You're right, Rob. The bush was too bright. Thanks for the metering tip (eureka moment, there). I hesitate to use the on-camera flash on the dogs, though, as I always end up firing it in their eyes. Not only do I end up with ghoulish green eyes that I can't do anything about, but I worry about damaging their eyesight.

To answer your question, despite Stella's regal looks and bearing, she is likely a mongrel. The humane society had her listed as an elkhound and she is remarkably similar to the one a street over, minus the barrel chest and the curly tail. A fellow down the street was convinced she was a particular smaller breed of German shepherd, but she runs like a wolf and springs straight up into the air from a standing position like a husky. So it's anybody's guess.

Stella in fact sleeps around. Which is to say, she sometimes sleeps with me, but if I move around too much, she forsakes my bed for her own, or the floor by an outside wall or her crate. If I have a house guest, she tries to sleep with them. She is a fickle girl.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Thanks for the metering tip (eureka moment, there). I hesitate to use the on-camera flash on the dogs, though, as I always end up firing it in their eyes. Not only do I end up with ghoulish green eyes that I can't do anything about, but I worry about damaging their eyesight.
    There's a lot of discussion about this, but overall it seems that short bursts of fill-flash are OK. It also depends on the distance between the light and the subjects eyes due to light fall-off. Have a read of this. It explains it all quite well. http://www.naturescapes.net/docs/ind...&print=1&page= Diffused light should be better, as the light source is larger, and less specifically intense. It also produces a softer light. I have never had an animal flinch when a flash has gone off near them. However, I have heard fish-keepers say that flash on a tank can cause disorientation in the fish, but I'm not sure if that is right.

Quote Originally Posted by purplehaze View Post
    Stella in fact sleeps around. Which is to say, she sometimes sleeps with me, but if I move around too much, she forsakes my bed for her own, or the floor by an outside wall or her crate. If I have a house guest, she tries to sleep with them. She is a fickle girl.

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Have a read of this.
    Perfect, thank you. I will experiment with my speedlight, with and without the diffuser cap on.

Real Name
    Yvonne

She is a beauty, no matter what combination of breeds.