Photo Session with Momo

Photo Session with Momo

Photo Session with Momo

Photo Session with Momo

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Photo Session with Momo

Hi Brigitte,

These are much better, definitiely a cut above the average family snapper. here's some constructive feedback:

#1; Nice and sharp, a good portrait, maybe needs a crop to suit subject shape and lose a bit of deadspace.

#2; Possibly better for not having the diagonal coving lines running through it (as in #1 and #3), also a nice size in the frame, but you are possibly too close to achieve focus (might try going to "macro" mode)

#3; Not bad, fairly sharp. One thing I would suggest compositionally is that if a subject is looking to one side, rather than in the direction of the camera, compositional convention says it is better if the eyes are looking IN to the picture more than out, so in this case, you should crop about 30% off the left hand side, so the eyes are just to left of an imaginary vertical centre line, looking right. Of course, on occasion there will be exceptions to any rule, but I think it would work in this case.

Other things that are good about these pictures are the exposure, and the plain background is just the right brightness to compliment the fur. Momo (?) is not too bright due to flash, nor has she any 'pet eyes' like poor Emily, and there's no nasty shadow behind (as in the first "Cat" post).

The diagonal coving lines I mentioned above don't actually worry me too much, it almost looks like a deliberate style statement.

Will the rest of the family fit up there for their portraits

So, all in all, VERY well done,

Dear Dave!

Thanks very much for taking time to add some contructive thoughts. For these photos I use the settings "Animal & Children" Photography with Exposure -1/2, 640x480, White balance normal. Without using Macro.
    I had edited for this ones brightness, contrast and sharpen it with the program from the camera software. After this I resize it for upoading.
    I understand and know that I need a lot of practice. I havenīt seen the coving lines for the first time. I think that my eyes are not seeing sharp. So thanks for your input.
    It not easy to get the cat to do what I want. She always looks in different directions. If I move she looks in an other direction but she is more patient then Emily.

Well, itīs a lot to learn for me as newbie...

By the way, the family consists of Momo, Emiliy and myself.

Tomorrow I will experiment with delayedaction shutter release or self-timer and shot a portrait photo.

I know how it works with the camera I tested it today.

regards,
    Brigitte

Here is the 2. Photo from Emily

Photo Session with Momo

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Brigitte,

We may be at cross purposes with the word "coving", by this I mean the shaped moulding thing that goes between the wall and the ceiling, just in case you were thinking I meant anything else.

Yes, I appreciate cats are not the easiest to photograph, we have 4 and to be honest I rarely bother because it always 'goes wrong'!

Good luck tomorrow,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Brigitte!

Great to see you "jumping in with both feet" here

Nothing much to add to what Dave's already said (and said well) - my thought of the day is that now you've got the hang of the basics with the new camera, start to think a little about your backgrounds - is there anything that you can use to get more colour in them? Some interesting shapes or textures? Or even get them looking a bit out of focus by moving Momo and Emiliy a bit further away from them?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Brigitte!

Great to see you "jumping in with both feet" here

Nothing much to add to what Dave's already said (and said well) - my thought of the day is that now you've got the hang of the basics with the new camera, start to think a little about your backgrounds - is there anything that you can use to get more colour in them? Some interesting shapes or textures? Or even get them looking a bit out of focus by moving Momo and Emiliy a bit further away from them?

Dear Colin!

Today I experiment with a coloured background. I would like to share them
    with you.

# 1

Photo Session with Momo

# 2

Photo Session with Momo

regards,
    Brigitte