Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ups and Downs

Real Name
    Abhi

Ups and Downs

Here is a leaf photo that I am working on. I would like to highlight the landscape of the leaf, especially the highs and lows. I would like to know how I did, and how can I improve upon my edit.

Ups and Downs
    250mm @ f/11 for 1/25s, ISO 100

Thank you for viewing.
    Abhi.

rob marshall

Re: Ups and Downs

Abhi

Did you use a tripod? It looks a little bleary to me. It could just be slightly OOF, or perhaps the leaf moved? What were the shooting conditions?

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Abhi

Did you use a tripod? It looks a little bleary to me. It could just be slightly OOF, or perhaps the leaf moved? What were the shooting conditions?
    Rob, I did use a tripod. But the photo in the original post is a little blurry. Here is a better focused shot, but with a slightly different framing. Primarily, I want to show the contrast between the smooth flow of the central vein with the ups and downs, lights and shadows around it. So, I picked the one with more drama to share. And, my wife likes it better too

Ups and Downs
    250mm, f11 for 1/13s @ ISO 100.

I am not really sure of the reason for the bleary look. I was shooting at 400mm eff. from 1-1.5m. So even light wind, or the camera not being perfectly parallel to the leaf could have done that.

Both these photos were taken at around 9 AM on a cloudy/overcast day. The sun was on the right of the leaf. When taking the original shot, the sun was shining through the clouds. When I took the photo in this post, it was mostly overcast with almost no shadows. Both these photos had their exposure increased by 1 in PP.

Thanks,
    Abhi

PS: I don't know if it helps, but this was shot in vertical format.
    PPS: Forgot to add, the location is in our front yard, 5 steps from the door to the house. So, I intend to have another go when the light is similar, probably a little earlier in the day as well. I fear that on a bright day, the specular reflections maybe too harsh.
    Last edited by abhi; 21st June 2011 at 09:50 PM.

Real Name
    Abhi

Rob,

Any PP tips for this? I am practicing PP on this photo till I get a better shot.

Thanks,
    Abhi

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    Rob,

Any PP tips for this? I am practicing PP on this photo till I get a better shot.

Thanks,
    Abhi
    Abhi

I don't think so. I'm not sure there is enough content in the shot for PP to make any real difference. I do a lot of leaf shots, and most of them are junked. You either need to get a leaf that is stunningly attractive or unusual
    . As an example, this is one i shot a few years ago. It was shot outside, in a private garden. It's a fascinating texture and pattern, and also the colour gives it some interest.

Ups and Downs

Or you need some juxtaposition between the leaf and something else. Like this one, which contrasts something dead with something alive and fresh.
    Ups and Downs

Real Name
    Abhi

Thanks, Rob, for the tips on photographing leaves. Those are some nice leaf shots. In this one, I wanted to contrast the uneven surface of the leaf with the smooth flow of the central vein. Sort of an abstract to show how life goes on amidst ups and downs, lights and shadows. I will keep an eye out for better leaves or better angles.