Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Poppies

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Poppies

I would like C&C on these please. Poppies

This is the original Poppies

I wanted to go for an artistic effect and have used PS with the plugin Colour Effex Pro. C&C on the crop & processing would be most appreciated. Thanks.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Wendy

Re: Poppies

Hi Andrew, I like what you have done with the processing. It looks kind of like what I can do with the Clarity slider in Lightroom. For me it works with this shot. Would it be possible to extend the shot at the top a bit, either clone in some more poppies or a bit more grass.

I really don't like the border though. I think it would look nice with a wide plain white border and may be a bit of a drop shadow and thin green or white stroke. That's just me though, there are so many options with borders, and so much time can be spent on them. Sometimes I find it's better (faster, easier) to just use a basic black or white border and let the shot speak for itself.

Wendy

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks for your comments Wendy, I appreciate them. I thought about having a bit more grass at the top but decided that I really liked the way the poppies extended from the top left corner down to just past half way on the right. I am not too experienced with PS and cloning yet! The crop was to avoid the telegraph pole. The border is personal choice again as I rather like the idea of suggesting that the poppies etc go on and on.

Andrew

Real Name
    Lon Howard

The artistic touch is just fine but I do agree with Wendy about the border because it's an attention-getter that distracts from the image. It's just a personal feeling but it seems that the 'torn' border effect places the image in the 'snapshot' realm. Perhaps submit it again with no border and see what others think.

Real Name
    John Wright

That's very attractive, you've done a great job there and as Katy mentioned about my poppies this shot also has a Monet about it (certainly more so than mine) but the border ?? Ugh. that really takes away from the photo IMO ..it's not only distracting but ragged and messy and people like me who like order and tidiness will want to get in there and crop it out I'd really like to see an amended version re. the border- maybe try it without a border or as Wendy suggests try it with a black or a white border for the reasons she;s mentioned. It was a good thought though- to convey the flowers going on beyond the photo and as you say ,personal choice,it wouldn't do if we all saw the saw an image in the same way but most times there's a commonalty of thought about what suits when CC is offered.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    ...I'd really like to see an amended version re. the border- maybe try it without a border ...
    Okay folks, this is why I posted in the first place, listened to your comments how is this? Think I agree it is better!

Andrew

Poppies

Real Name
    Wendy

:O Very nice!

Wendy

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks Wendy.

Real Name
    John Wright

Now it's brilliant - you must be very pleased with it. If that was mine I'd be getting a print of it to hang at home - maybe even a canvas-it's lovely .

Real Name
    Lon Howard

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    Now it's brilliant - you must be very pleased with it. If that was mine I'd be getting a print of it to hang at home - maybe even a canvas-it's lovely .
    Ahhh, yes ...

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thank you John & Lon, I appreciate your comments and advice.
    Andrew

Real Name
    Ken Outch

[Qhow is this? Think I agree it is better!

Andrew

Poppies[/QUOTE]
    Now you are cooking with gas, as we say Down Under. Nice work.

Real Name
    Andrew-Bede

Thanks Ken for your kind comment, the more I look at it the more it is making me think and as the poppy is such an emotive and symbolic flower it is becoming very poignant for me to look at it in this way—a line of soldiers in the chaos of war?
    Andrew

Real Name
    John

Saw this in the June competition so I looked up your threads. I really love this photo as you finished it. The border was distracting (at least in white). No border is much simpler and simpler is often better to me.
    john