Thread: Filter kit advice please

Real Name
    Mark

Filter kit advice please

Having settled with my insurance company I'm in the market for all new gear. I've decided on a 7D with a Canon 24-105 L f4 for a walk around lens and a Sigma 10-20 f3.5 for landscapes.

The Canon is 77mm and the Sigma 82mm.

For filters I think I need:
    A circular UV for protection for each.

The light here in sunny QLD can be harsh in summer so a CPL for the 24-105mm. I think circular as this is a walk around lens and I don't want to be bothered with a filter holder in this scenario.

Soft grad ND8 for each. For this I think I need filter holder that will fit both lens and give me the flexibility to use other filters (ie a polariser for the Sigma) if need be. The holder and filter would have to be suitable for the Sigma at 10mm.

I don't want to spend a squillion but I don't want rubbish either. Thoughts on brands, models, the whole approach to this would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Real Name
    Robin

Re: Filter kit advice please

Slightly different thought - go for the Sigma 10-20mm f4-56 (you're not going to use either wide open as they are both vile) which has a 77mm front element and is just as good optically. That will make it easier to get filters, make them cheaper and mean you only need one CPL. For using a Grad on the Sigma I usually just hold it in place for short exposures or Blu-Tack it in place for longer ones.

To use a System Holder with the Sigma then you will need the Lee one with their Wide 77mm adapter ring.....and lots of cash.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Out of interest Mark, what were you shooting landscape with before?

PS: Personally I wouldn't bother with a CPL on anything as wide as that - I suspect that all it'll do is give you very uneven skies.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Out of interest Mark, what were you shooting landscape with before?

PS: Personally I wouldn't bother with a CPL on anything as wide as that - I suspect that all it'll do is give you very uneven skies.
    Exactly the same 2 lens, mainly the Sigma for landscape. The only diff will be the 7D in lieu of the 500D. I used a CPL on the Sigma previously and agree it can be a problem.