Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Got my first little gig in photography. Need advice fellow members.

Real Name
    James

Got my first little gig in photography. Need advice fellow members.

So I got my first gig to shoot a baby shower. I've done a few parties and such, but I did those out of my free time. This is very important to me because I want to make a good impression.

I've tried searching online for a few ideas and I have a general concept on how the editing should look. Pastel colors, girly and zzz.

Anyways I have a few questions.

When sending your client your master copies, do you send it to them with your watermark on them? Do you resize them or send them the original sizes and how do you store them for transport? Burn several CD's? I usually put my stuff on my TB hard drives and giving them one would be pricey.

Also, at what settings do you recommend shooting group portraits at? If it's a large group I want to make sure everyone in the picture is looking sharp and not only the center. Higher f # maybe?

Obviously I'm still new and I need some guidance.

Last question. How much do I charge them in U.S. dollars. I'm a rookie so I'm thinking of a real low # here.

Thanks in advance!

Real Name
    James

Re: Got my first little gig in photography. Need advice fellow members.

Ah also.. it will be indoors during the daytime. Would using a flash be ideal? Or will it just make the pictures look point and shoot ugly?

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by b00gym4n View Post
    Ah also.. it will be indoors during the daytime. Would using a flash be ideal? Or will it just make the pictures look point and shoot ugly?
    If the photos are posed, not having excessive movement, then you may not need the flash for most photos. As you are the major photographer you need to establish the forum, as much as possible, meaning you have to work with the available lighting so arrange formal shots in the best setting. Find a nice single color background for most group portraits. Do you have any accessories such as reflectors and filters that you can use?

Real Name
    James

My equipment list that I am working with.

Canon 5d Mark ii
    Canon 24-70L f/2.8
    Canon 50mm 1.8 II
    Manfrotto tripod & ball head
    Canon Speedlite 480 ex ii
    B+W 10 stop filter
    Canon shutter remote

that's about it. Should I buy some sort of reflector to enhance the lighting? They seem fairly cheap.

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by b00gym4n View Post
    My equipment list that I am working with.

Canon 5d Mark ii
    Canon 24-70L f/2.8
    Canon 50mm 1.8 II
    Manfrotto tripod & ball head
    Canon Speedlite 480 ex ii
    B+W 10 stop filter
    Canon shutter remote

that's about it. Should I buy some sort of reflector to enhance the lighting? They seem fairly cheap.
    A reflector and perhaps some studio lights, but if you have had a chance to look over the location, see if natural light can be used. Will this party be in a residence? If it is, you may want to see what space is available for formal portraits. You will probably shoot more candids than formal portraits though.

Real Name
    James

Yes it is at a residence, but I might pick a few reflectors just in case the sun is blocking the light. Thanks

Can anyone help me with my other questions? Please.