Real Name
    Javier

Baseball!

Through a wire mesh!

Baseball!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Baseball!

Hello, Javier. You were able to capture this moment nicely just right after the pitcher threw the ball. Considering that you shot this one through a wire fence that means you have good knowledge of the use of your camera's aperture function. Looking at the cues on how you "composed" this shot, I was thinking that you are trying to emulate a certain type of a slide film effect - more like either a Kodachrome or a Fujichrome slide type. There is nothing wrong with that since it is really a matter of personal choice of style. My only comment is that there seems to be too much of a color saturation involved. I would probably back off a little bit on the post-processing and introduce some detail back into the shot as most of it was lost due to the over-saturated and underexposed look. Just an opinion. Still, if this is your preference then you have achieved it nicely here.

Real Name
    Javier

Jiro: I really appreciate your feedback, actually this type of C&C has helped me to learn how my Nikon 3100 works and now after six months of practicing also can say that I know it; still very far to become a photographer, but at least learned the different between a snap shot and a good photo, now enjoy more my results and my family likes this hobby too, although, my pictures are not perfect or technical correct my audience (family members) likes better.

The slide film effect is just a preference and sort of signature or personal touch that help me to identify my pictures after post-processed, perhaps, processing digital pictures is another challenge from I am learning too, because I found sometime a good picture with good histogram no necessarily mean a good print out result, but good histogram picture makes easier to post-process and then print out a very good remember moment.

I have followed your comment and backed off a little bit on the post-processing to look for those details that you mentioned.

Thank you,

Baseball!

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I like the second edit better. Let me tell you my reason why it looked better.

1. I can see more detail in the face of the pitcher and the audience in the background because the shadows are now elevated in exposure.
    2. The grass looks more natural compared to the over-saturated look on the first posted image.

You are right when you said that even if the histogram is right on the money it doesn't mean that it is a good photograph. What makes a good photograph involves more than just having a properly exposed shot. It needs to solicit a response from the viewer. Definitely you were able to achieve it here due to the nature of the shot. Unfortunately, you missed the mark on the technical side of the photograph. If by over-saturating the colors and making the shot darker you were able to make the shot more involving, then it should be post-processed that way. In here, as I have said it did not help the shot at all. That's the reason why it took me more than 15 times looking at your shot before I decided to post my comment. I was hoping that others would comment first but no one did.

Giving a critic is a bit delicate because the one who critiques is also injecting his own preference to the image. This is the reason why I tend to be very careful when I critic someone else's work. My only reason when I critic someone is to help him see some things that does not seem to work or go along with the type of image shown. Example: If the shot involves happiness, surely you wouldn't want the image to be processed with over the edge sharpness and shouting with too vibrant colors. Nor would you want to convey happiness with a very dark shot. So, there are ways that the psychology of how we humans interact with emotions and images can guide us on how are we going to process an image. I have not known this for quite some time. It was only when I read a lot of books about composition and arts and about the works of legendary photographers (both present and past) that I came to realize this pattern. There is really a way to understand how are we going to process an image based on the VISION that we want the viewers to see. I hope I am not that too hard on you. I see a lot of potential on your work, I just want to push you a little bit more to see if you will either open the door or shut it out.
    Last edited by jiro; 20th June 2011 at 05:55 PM.

Real Name
    Javier

Jiro: all these comments are good; beside I have a thick skin, therefore just can say is to thank for sharing that piece of knowledge with me and everybody in this professional forum.