Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Tips on using an ultra wide angle lens

Real Name
    Ali

Tips on using an ultra wide angle lens

Hi everyone;

My Canon 16-35mm ultrawide lens is coming tomorrow. I am going out to shoot a few pictures with it on Saturday. I have never used a lens like this before and would like to know if you guys have any general advice on how to use this kind of lens, things that first time users need to know.

I will be mostly taking pictures of friends. There may not be that many general tips but if there is it would be great if you guys can share it with me and others!

Thanks,

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Tips on using an UWA Lens

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    I have never used a lens like this before and would like to know if you guys have any general advice on how to use this kind of lens, things that first time users need to know.
    Some people like to use UWA lenses for portraiture, but I'm not a big fan of them for that purpose; if the person is placed towards the outside of the shot you'll get distortion, and even if they're in the middle you'll need to get so close to make them appear significant that you'll end up with issues like noses looking bigger etc

For landscape shots the key words are "get agressive" - put the horizon 1/3 down from the top then lower the camera until foreground objects start taking up 15% or more of the horizontal space (you'll probably be quite surprised at how low you and up and surprised also at the angle the camera ends up at; they're not a lens for simply standing on a hill - putting the horizon in the middle - and clicking away with nothing in the immediate foreground.

Hope this helps

Real Name

PS: Have you got the filter yet?

Real Name
    Ali

Thanks for the tips, Colin. I will try to remember those and also I will try to read a little bit until Saturday, so that I do not embarass my self with my new toy.

I would love to take landscape shots but I do not have a good tripod yet (I am going broke, this one has to really wiat until the weather is warmer).

About the portraits, I always see fashion photographers use this lens to take picture of for example a model standing in the middle of the desert with a nice wide background of almost the whole desert behind them in the image.

The good thing is that I will have my 24-70mm and 70-200 with me.

I got the 82 Heliopan multicoated filter and hopefully it will arrive ontime. thanks for the help on that one too

Real Name

No worries

If you do use it for portraiture, just be sure to keep the subject close to the middle and by REALLY careful with your elevation.

Real Name
    Ali

OK, this is my first one with the UWA lens: Canon 16-35mm L f/2.8. I took a lot of other pictures all stunningly sharp and clear.

This is Nahant, Massachusetts.

Please comment.

Tips on using an ultra wide angle lens

Real Name

Good start

Here's a challenge for you ...

- Find some medium-sized rocks

- Look through viewfinder

- Put horizon 1/3 down from the top

- Keep horizon 1/3 from top and lower camera until rocks start to look big

Take the shot ...

... see what you think

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Good start

Here's a challenge for you ...

- Find some medium-sized rocks

- Look through viewfinder

- Put horizon 1/3 down from the top

- Keep horizon 1/3 from top and lower camera until rocks start to look big

Take the shot ...

... see what you think
    Thanks, Colin. I think you are right. I tried the tips about the horizon you told me for some of the shots but I kept forgetting. It is a totally different realm with all the distortion you get. I think I am going to get used to it. Will try your suggestions next time. For now, it is snowing again

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    Thanks, Colin. I think you are right. I tried the tips about the horizon you told me for some of the shots but I kept forgetting. It is a totally different realm with all the distortion you get. I think I am going to get used to it. Will try your suggestions next time. For now, it is snowing again
    Great - go build a snowman then go shoot it - nice and close, with horizon 1/3 from the top ...!