Rusty Chain and Old Tires

Taken yesterday at the marina.
    Your C&C are always welcome!

rob marshall

Re: Rusty Chain and Old Tires

Hi Giannis

Both images are over 1.3MB in size, which is rather large to load on a web page. Best to try and stick to about 300KB, if you can.

I take a lot of shots like these, and my wife, when she sees them says something along the lines of "Why did you take a picture of that?" But she's just a philistine, so I have to explain that they are explorations of light, shade, colour and form!

I think both of your shots look better with some cropping. The first looks better as a square crop as it gives more emphasis to the chain.

The second one is very bright in the top right corner and that's pulling my attention there. I think cropping it off slightly looks better. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    I take a lot of shots like these, and my wife, when she sees them says something along the lines of "Why did you take a picture of that?" But she's just a philistine, so I have to explain that they are explorations of light, shade, colour and form!
    Right! And they also are fun to shoot!

I like the chain square cropped. It is definitely better.

About the second one, I was thinking on how to crop the original to make the tires less dominant and give the photo some balance. That area on the right corner is indeed too bright, but tighter cropping seems to unbalance the picture (just a little). I could crop the bottom of it a little but then I loose part of what makes the photo interesting.

Am I over-analyzing it?

Real Name
    Al

JMHO, but it seems to me that the trick for the tires shot is to enhance the dominance of the tires, not diminish it. A square crop and rotation, so that the tires are stacked vertically in the frames creates stronger lines that lead the eyes into the more subtle waves in the water. Something like this:

Just my take on it, anyway, and I may be completely off the deep end here

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Never mind all the esoteric critique stuff! Let's cut right to the chase. Where can I lay my hands on these tyres? They look to have a darn side more tread on them than those currently on my car! Oh yeah. Great shots Glannis. The chains are my pick, especially as cropped by Rob. Maybe a tad more sharpening as well? But two nice shots. Well done.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkbyte View Post
    JMHO, but it seems to me that the trick for the tires shot is to enhance the dominance of the tires, not diminish it. A square crop and rotation, so that the tires are stacked vertically in the frames creates stronger lines that lead the eyes into the more subtle waves in the water. Something like this:

Just my take on it, anyway, and I may be completely off the deep end here
    Very interesting!

At first I turned my head right to understand it but it feels OK after some time looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    They look to have a darn side more tread on them than those currently on my car! Oh yeah.

Thank you Ken!

Real Name
    John Wright

I have to say that I prefer Rob's crop to take away the distracting light top right and maybe even a bit more off the top for balance -for me that is. I pulled the thread down and in effect did that crop and I'd definitely be happier with that bit more off which also takes that remaining light out which I still found distracting although Rob took most of it out.

AL- I got to your tighter crop image and immediately sat back away from the screen a bit more ,I found the tyres a bit too much in my face,I wanted to create some viewing space.

Real Name
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I got to your tighter crop image and immediately sat back away from the screen a bit more ,I found the tyres a bit too much in my face,I wanted to create some viewing space.
    Just hold your breath... when the tires (or tyres, for those who speak English English) run over you, you'll just be dunked under the water, not crushed on the pavement