Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lawn critter

Real Name
    Paul

Lawn critter

Yes I am still here... Summer tends to be my extra busy time at work, thus little time to get out for regular shoots. Got home today and grabbed the camera for a little trip around my front yard to see what I see. This little guy saw me first. C&C most welcome.

Lawn critter

Lawn critter

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Lawn critter

Nice! I love the color saturation and the details! I would assume this is not the poisonous variety type, right? Your composition, Paul is also very good (for me).

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Jiro, the snake is of the common Garter snake variety. Non poisonous. I get all different colors of them around here from red, yellow, blue and many more. This guy was a very nice orange. He was big for what I find in the yard @ about 2 1/2 ft and as big around as your thumb.

Real Name
    Steve

Nice job on these paul. Love the bright orange color.

Real Name
    Richard

Hi Jiro...

I am no snakeologist but, I believe that except for the coral snake, most (if not all) poisonous snakes (at least those in the USA) have a rather flat/angular snout rather than a rounded one.

Still, one of the above guys scared the dickens out of my wife and I as it was on a beam at the top of our Jacuzzi gazebo. Even though I knew it wasn't poisonous, he or she was a darn big snake and kind of spoiled the romantic allure of the Jacuzzi for that night. I never saw it again. Perhaps my ugly nakedness bothered the snake as much as the snake bothered me.

BTW: nice shots Paul. I hope I don't meet that guy's big brother in my dreams tonight.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 17th June 2011 at 03:26 AM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Thanks, Richard. I am not so sure but I think somebody told me that poisonous snakes have different eyes compared to the non-poisonous ones like this one. I, for one is not that brave when I see one may it be poisonous or not so I have to say Paul is brave to even get that close and take these shots.

Real Name
    Paul

Thanks Steve and Richard
    Willie, I once had a fear of snakes...that is until I found myself in a sittuation having to house and care for several, some quite large. I had always been into lizards but not snakes. It took some doing but I was able to overcome my fear and have since owned some 8ft+ snakes. Which reminds me of the thread concerning reasons for tattoos. I have a large snake tattoo, it reminds me fear is only a state of mind and you can overcome any fear you might have (through education} and should never let one hold you back. These Garter Snakes are fairly easy to handle, though a bit smelly. The first shot was via my 75-300, the second was with the 50mm and laying on the ground within a foot of him. I was right at the nearest focus distance.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 17th June 2011 at 05:32 AM.

Real Name
    Doug

Very nice use of the focal area. I like the composition of both photos. The first one I like the most. It is peering into my soul.

Good job Paul

Real Name
    John Wright

Class shots. Good job you know your snakes-looks like this one has attitude