Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Poker Faces

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Poker Faces

I just got back from an event in the WSOP. Before the event my friends and I did some small tournaments before the big event. I got knocked out early in a couple so I snapped some pics. I had to increase the ISO to 1600 to get a steady shot. Enjoy! Comments welcome. Oh please let me know if the color is off. I'm seeing a difference between Chrome and CS5. (edit... I just learned a valuble lesson about saving for sRGB.)

Poker Faces
    Poker Faces

testing colors
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 16th June 2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Colors off again....

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Poker Faces

Mike,

I think I like #1 better. The major downside for #1 is the hand coming into the frame from the left side, and the bright brown surface behind the player's back. But I like the way the DoF was used to show the writing on the table but keep it blurred just enough to not draw my eyes away from the player.

For #2, the biggest problem I have with it is the lighting on the player's face. It just seems to change so many times that it just makes it look weird.

Overall nice work in challenging conditions.

- Bill

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Mike,

I think I like #1 better. The major downside for #1 is the hand coming into the frame from the left side, and the bright brown surface behind the player's back. But I like the way the DoF was used to show the writing on the table but keep it blurred just enough to not draw my eyes away from the player.

For #2, the biggest problem I have with it is the lighting on the player's face. It just seems to change so many times that it just makes it look weird.

Overall nice work in challenging conditions.

- Bill

This the original form #2, I edited some stuff out with a gradient but the exposure on the face is unchanged.

Poker Faces

prefer it darker?

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by KTHXBAI View Post
    This the original form #2, I edited some stuff out with a gradient but the exposure on the face is unchanged.

Poker Faces

prefer it darker?
    Mike,

While it does match the lighting more, I think it is actually the light reflecting off the beer bottle (landing just above his eye) that is most distracting. Not sure if that could be fixed or not.

- Bill