Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: All in a Day's Work

Real Name
    Chris

All in a Day's Work

For the past week, I have been engaged by a local Seafood distributor to shoot a series of photographs which will show his operation from beginning to end as well as as many "out" shots of the whole shebang. He runs an atteched storefront for retial sales, but the majority of his business is wholesale with customers as far north as Boston, far west as St. Louis and south to Orlando. he also runs his own fleet of trucks and 15 fising vessels.

On most days, between 6,000 and 10,000 lbs of fish come into (and go out) the distribution, boxing center. His catch consists of Red Snapper, Wahoo, Red and Black Grouper, Mahi-Mahi, Yellow and Blue Fin Tuna, and Swordfish (a winter catch).

This week, I have Seen everything but the Swordfish. Below are some of the shots from this week. Just as an aside, and not as an excuse, but at any given time on the loading dock or in the warehouse, there are upward of 30 men working at a very fast pace and it was put to me to look out for myself. There are forlifts, bobcats, and hand carts going every which way...mostly fun, but harrowing at times.

Grading Tuna - #1 Sushi, #2 Steaks, #3 Chinese/Asian, NG Catfood
    this was a #1

All in a Day's Work

All in a Day's Work

187lb Grade #1 Tuna coming out of the hold

All in a Day's Work

Off-loading to scale

All in a Day's Work

The setup

All in a Day's Work

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: All in a Day's Work

Wow, Chris. What a great opportunity for some good photography here. The first thing that came to my mind are ultra wide angle shots that are too close to the action for some real dramatic angles. This reminds of some old National Geographic Magazines I have about fishing. Better save up for an off camera flash and a radio trigger so you can kill some of the ambient light and use your own flash to really make the shots dramatic! Shot #4 is really good!

Real Name
    Chris

Unfortunately, there isn't much room or time to get that creative. When those boys are moving, they're moving hard and fast...I try to weave in and out and not slow the flow. I've got a ton of other shots I am currently processing which will give you a better idea of what it looks like when everyone is in action. I have to shoot 200 pics to get 35 usable. i did use a flash on some, but it's not nearly big enough...and you are right, time for a remote setup...sigh...more money...

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

I'm trying to save some money for this: http://www.phottixstore.com/store/fl...h-trigger.html

Real Name
    Chris

I think I am going to need somethiing the size of a Speedlight 900 with at least two fill units...maybe could go with 400's. That link lookins interesting, but for the little inside work I do, not sure I am ready to go there just yet.

Real Name
    Chris

Here are a couple of other shots from this shoot.

All in a Day's Work

All in a Day's Work

All in a Day's Work

And my favorite..The Great Wahoo Staredown

All in a Day's Work

Real Name
    Steve

Great job on this series chris. Action shots are not easy. You only have a few seconds to compose and properly expose the shot.

I like the 2nd and 3rd one best.

Real Name
    Chris

So far, the hardest part of this job (other than avoiding getting squished like a grape) has been having to go from outside to inside to outside constantly...and at each hour, because of the sun's position on the horizon, the light changes significantly. I finally programmed in two of the three shooting modes, I was using which did make it easier.

Setting up a series of actions in PS was my other final saving grace in doing my batch processes. Sheese, can't imagine not being able to work out most of the heard stuff an image at a time.

Thanks for all the positive comments, everyone.