Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: resurfaced

Real Name
    Paul

resurfaced

due to river levels dropping so much.this old lawn motor has resurfaced and is just rusting away in the sun.c&c welcome
    resurfaced

resurfaced

Real Name
    Peter

Re: resurfaced

Hi Paul,

I noticed there are lots of views but no comments. I can see your interest in the shot but I am not sure you have pulled it off. I think it has as much to do with the placement of the motor in the images.

In #1 it is in the middle at the bottom of the image and there is not a lot of interest in the top half and the water line draws the eye to the two distracting bits sticking up on the right hand side.

I can see in #2 you have got much closer in, or have cropped the image, but now the motor is pointing to the left hand side with the wheel almost touching the side. Any intended motion would see this motor run into the side pretty quickly. I don't think the subject has the room to breath in the image. You might try cropping and moving the subject closer to the bottom right rule of thirds intersect and give some room in front of the motor on the left.

I hope this helps.

Real Name
    Paul

thank you for your comments

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Paul, you may find that you will get more comments if you start by evaluating your image and deciding what you like and don't like about it. Then choose an aspect that you feel could use improvement and post your image with a question or two about that area you would like to improve. By posting a challenge for the viewer to help you solve, you are more likely to get several pointed suggestions for improvement.

The river's edge helps tell the story in the first shot but the other objects sticking out of the mud (including the reflection of the pole) detract from the subject. The cropping of the second shot is better, but as Peter points out, needs more space in front of the mower. If this can be reshot, I would try to get the second image from a lower angle to include a bit of the river's bank, and aimed more to the left to avoid the reflection of the pole and include some space in front of the mower. I hope this helps!