Real Name
    Mick Stones

Cornwall

Cornish coastline, taken from the ruins of Tintadgel Castle

Cornwall

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Cornwall

I like this photo Mick. The coast line seems to taper off into the distance. Looks like it was a nice day for photography.

I took the liberty of adding a little tone mapping. What do you think ?

Cornwall

Cheers Dave

Real Name
    Mick Stones

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    I like this photo Mick. The coast line seems to taper off into the distance. Looks like it was a nice day for photography.

I took the liberty of adding a little tone mapping. What do you think

Cheers Dave
    Thanks Dave, I like the adjustments, I`m not familiar with tone mapping, could you explain in detail what adjustments you made?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Mick J S View Post
    Thanks Dave, I like the adjustments, I`m not familiar with tone mapping, could you explain in detail what adjustments you made?
    Mick I'm no expert on this, only dabbled a bit. Tone mapping is often associated with High Dynamic Range (HDR) photography where several images of different exposure are merged together and then tone mapping applied. The tone mapping seems to exaggerate contrast and colour saturation locally within the image and you can adjust the strength of the effect to suit your taste. But I'm sure there are many members of this forum who could explain it better than I.

In this case, I have used tone mapping on a single image using a plug-in for Photoshop from Media Chance called Redynamix. It is a plugin which includes some of the functionality of their stand-alone HDR software called Dynamic Photo HDR which can also be used for single images.

Cheers Dave

For me, that helps with the rather dull foreground but it is too much for the sky.

I think I would probably play around with a duplicate image layer and some masking to produce a more selective result.

Real Name
    Mick Stones

I`v had a little play in photoshop using layers, selected different areas and adjusted the levels, then given a boost with unsharp mask ,amount 12, radius 250.0, is this any better the the original image?

Cornwall

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by Mick J S View Post
    I`v had a little play in photoshop using layers, selected different areas and adjusted the levels, then given a boost with unsharp mask ,amount 12, radius 250.0, is this any better the the original image?
    Mick your processing has given the original image a bit of a lift and I guess it's a matter of personal taste, but to me, the foreground and water looks a bit "pastel" - perhaps too much green.

Cheers Dave

Or a bit too blue. The overall contrast is better though.