Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stormy San Franciso Twilight

Real Name
    Dave

Stormy San Franciso Twilight

Got this shot on Saturday from Sausalito. Please click on image to see larger version, without automated compression (and resulting softening)...

Stormy San Francisco Twilight by Dave Michaud

Canon 50D
    ISO 100, f/8, 93 seconds @ 60 mm EFL
    B&W 6 stop ND
    Lee 3 stop GND

Did some curves adjustments to manage contrast and tonal values. Any and all feedback appreciated - I learn the most from honest critiques :-)

Cheers,
    Dave
    Last edited by dmichaud; 7th June 2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: updated with larger version...

rob marshall

Re: Stormy San Franciso Twilight

Dave

That is excellent. 'Haunting' to use a cliche. I have a 10 stop and I really don't use it enough. Beautiful location and composition. I'd hang that.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks Rob, much appreciated! I just got the 6 stop, this is one of my first shots, love the water effect.

Cheers,
    Dave

nice tones and bluring. i miss more right side.

Real Name
    Abhi

Beautiful shot, Dave.

Real Name
    John

Very nice image.

Real Name
    Doug

Very nice. I gives me chills looking at it.

Real Name
    Bill S

Dave,

Nice work! I really like it. The only thing I would change (and I'm not familiar enough with the SF skyline to know if this is even possible, so take it for what it is worth) is to get the fog and clouds to meet again on the right side of the skyline. I feel that would complete a feeling of a city in the clouds kind of look. As it is, the city is still anchored and can't fully achieve that feeling. I guess the same would be needed on the left edge of the frame too. Do you see what I mean?

Even without that though, it is still a fantastic image... really very cool. I'd also wonder what a shot would look like with the storm clouds removed - just cropped right below where they get dark. I know it is a tight crop against the top of the city skyline, but when I held up my notebook to my monitor and covered it, I thought it looked nice that way too.

- Bill

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

You did a very fine job on the technical aspect of the shot, Dave. I really like how these ND filters can create such silky smooth watery reflections on the waters. On a personal level, my only comment is the interaction of the elements inside the frame. I'm not so sure as to how the city skyline helps complete or complement the scene. I am a bit inclined to either concentrate on them as my main subject and reposition the camera to disregard the vertical wood planks on the foreground as one image, or disregard the skyline and concentrate on the vertical planks as my main image as another shot. On a really personal taste, I would love to go the latter with only that lovely sky, the horizon, and the vertical planks in the shot. Just a personal opinion, Dave so kindly take it with a grain of salt from a newbie.

Real Name
    Dr Nasseem Michael Malouf

Dave the effect is beautiful using the ND filters. I would tend to agree with Jiro. The main subject is lost between the planks and the city skyline. I would try and make two photos out of it by vertically cutting through the middle of the frame at the point where the city skyline ends and the bridge begins: with the city skyline as one subject and the planks and the bridge in the other. Its still a beautiful picture but I think the composition can be improved.

Nasseem

Real Name
    Bill S

I don't know if this was the intention or not, but when I looked at the shot and had the feeling of the city in the clouds look, I felt that the skyline and the wooden pylons were a dichotomy between the new city and an old one... possibly even the results of a war between the two?

I know - it is a stretch, but It sounds cool in my head.

- Bill

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the feedback Bill. Do you mean get the clouds and water to meet on the right and left sides? If so, the skyline won't allow for that.

Interesting idea on a sky crop:

Stormy San Francisco by Dave Michaud

Better??

Thanks,
    Dave

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    On a personal level, my only comment is the interaction of the elements inside the frame. I'm not so sure as to how the city skyline helps complete or complement the scene. I am a bit inclined to either concentrate on them as my main subject and reposition the camera to disregard the vertical wood planks on the foreground as one image, or disregard the skyline and concentrate on the vertical planks as my main image as another shot. On a really personal taste, I would love to go the latter with only that lovely sky, the horizon, and the vertical planks in the shot. Just a personal opinion, Dave so kindly take it with a grain of salt from a newbie.
    Thanks for the feedback Jiro. Perhaps I'll try a more simple composition next time.

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by dmichaud View Post
    Thanks for the feedback Bill. Do you mean get the clouds and water to meet on the right and left sides? If so, the skyline won't allow for that.

Interesting idea on a sky crop:

Stormy San Francisco by Dave Michaud

Better??

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave,

Bummer about the skyline not working for the clouds and water to meet on both sides. It was worth mentioning though.

As to the crop, I personally like it better myself, but I don't necessarily want to say it is "better" because I still like the original too. They're both very good. What I personally like better about the cropped version is the way it produces better balance with the two elements of the skyline and the pylons while managing the negative space.

Supperb work!

- Bill

Real Name
    Bill S

If you ever go back to reshoot this, I'd love to see a stitched panorama in this style....

- Bill

Real Name
    Janis

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    I don't know if this was the intention or not, but when I looked at the shot and had the feeling of the city in the clouds look, I felt that the skyline and the wooden pylons were a dichotomy between the new city and an old one... possibly even the results of a war between the two?
    I love how the heaviness of the clouds in the original so thoroughly dominates the cityscape. In a little twist on Bill's interpretation, I see the pylons in the foreground as a portent of the apocalypse to come. And, in case you're wondering, I'm feeling quite cheery today!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

How did I miss this!!?

All been said above already ... but just let me add that it's gorgeous.

But what's that right in the middle and underneath the bridge? Is it a bit distracting?

Still waiting on my 10-stop Lee to arrive. It's been on back order now for a couple of months.

Real Name
    Dave

Hi Donald, thanks for the feedback. I think you're referring to the support of the bridge in the middle? This is the Bay Bridge going to Oakland, so it's just part of the structure. Perhaps you're thinking of the Golden Gate Bridge which doesn't have such supports?

I just couldn't keep waiting for the Lee 10-stop, so purchased this B&W 6 stop screw on instead. I haven't been able to find the Lee 10 ND in stock anywhere this year!

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Dave

I knew it was the Bay Bridge as opposed to the Golden Gate, but I didn't remember it had that very large central support.

I just couldn't keep waiting for the Lee 10-stop, so purchased this B&W 6 stop screw on instead. I haven't been able to find the Lee 10 ND in stock anywhere this year!
    Oh dear. Now you've got me wondering if I'll ever see it.

Walked all the way from downtown out to Sausalito and then got the ferry back. That was in, er um, 1990 (last time I was there). Wonderful place.

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Walked all the way from downtown out to Sausalito and then got the ferry back. That was in, er um, 1990 (last time I was there). Wonderful place.
    Nice place indeed - fortunate to live nearby!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast