Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies

After I cropped this I realized that the water and grass appears to form blocks of color. Does that detract or enhance the the image? Should it be cropped differently? Although the cropping is tighter than the original, there is some room to play.

Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies

Any other C&C?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    After I cropped this I realized that the water and grass appears to form blocks of color. Does that detract or enhance the the image?
    Frank I don't think it does, except ..........!

I think the various blocks of colour make up a nice image - lovely tonal range balance. But ... the one thing that then imbalances that nice set of colours tones is, I think the main subject - that flower. I think that's probably such an intricate and detailed object (what is it, anyway?), that it demands an uncluttered background so that all of the attention is on it.

So, if it makes any sense, I think you've got two nice images here: 1) the flower and, 2) the grasses and the water. It's just that I'm not sure they work together.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies

Hi Donald, thank you for commenting. Perhaps a little background is in order. These are all Rocky Shoals Spider Lilies. The Catawba River in South Carolina is home to the worlds largest collection of this rare flower. They grow between the rocks in shallow river water and most of their habitat has been wiped out.

The problem in shooting them is that unless you have a kayack or a canoe, about the closest you can get to them is about 5 meters. Someone who was willing to wade into the stream brought one back to the shore. I was trying to merge a shot of it with remaining flowers in the background which is why there is somewhat of a visual disconnect between the subject and the other lilies.

I could isolate the blossom against a plain background but then I feel it would loose it's natural setting. In this image I had enhanced the blur on the lilie's green blades. Would it help if they were in sharper focus? I'm still trying to figure out what works well and what doesn't and appreciate the wisdom of your guidance.