Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: This is so cool, I've already ordered one and suspect some of you will as well

Real Name
    Chris

This is so cool, I've already ordered one and suspect some of you will as well

http://www.piezography.com/PiezoPres...lifornia-1936/

and, if you ever want the absolute highest quality digital B&W print available, go to the people at this site. They are pricey, but when you've seen one....my-my-my.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: This is so cool, I've already ordered one and suspect some of you will as well

Only problem is Chris, is that's not a B&W print

Real Name
    Chris

Re: This is so cool, I've already ordered one and suspect some of you will as well

It is a B&W sepia print from a digitally remastered B&W negative. It is not a B&W print from the original negative, and it does clearly state it is not but such prints simply are't available from Lange, Hines, and some of the other more famous photographers, and certainly not for $100. I have some prints made from Adams and Callahan's original negatives and can assure you I paid substantially more.

I talked at length with Jon Cone on this before ordering my print and having seen the quality of his prints on many occasions, I am not at all worried about the quality, value and lightfastness of this image. It gives me the opportunity to possess something, otherwise unobtainable in my meager budget. His carbon ink printing system is unlike any other I've ever seen. The sepia tones are exquisite as are those done using the selenium inks.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    It is a B&W sepia print from a digitally remastered B&W negative.
    Hi Chris,

Sorry - wasn't trying to be picky - just trying to point out that it's a sepia, not B&W. Sometimes I think people create a bit of confusion with slightly incorrect terminology -- so I was really trying to say "sepia" or "monochrome", not B&W or greyscale.

Real Name
    Chris

Collin, it was my fault for not pointing out it was a sepia print with sepia inks. I had to go back and look at what I stated first to understand your response. No biggie...If you click on the yellow tag right below the opeing paragraph, you can see where he is getting permission from the familes of the past masters and doing a wnole series. I like Lewis Hines, but that's not my favorite shot, so am hoping he gets a crack at some of the others.

I have seen one of the original Lange's in Napa, CA at, of all places, a winery (John Turnbull) and it is such a haunting vision, when I saw this, I just knew I had to have a shot at it.

Real Name
    Mike

I saw that picture in a book I got from the library - "Photo Icons: The Story Behind the Pictures Volume 1 1827-1926" by Hans-Michael Koetzle - and it gave the story of how and why it was taken along with some other pictures taken at the same time.
    An interesting book giving the stories behind a lot of other famous pictures.

Real Name
    Chris

I am going to pick mine up at the Jon Cone Studio in New Hampshire while on my trip. I am so looking forward to seeing it up close and personal.