Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: On the Loch Side

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

On the Loch Side

Still finding things from my recent weekend away that are maybe worth processing. What do you think?

On the Loch Side
    40D, 70-200mm f/4L IS @ 200mm. ISO100. 1/20@f5.6.

Real Name
    Chris

Re: On the Loch Side

This is one of those shots my kids have a tendency to make, and a few advanced students, as well accomplished as this, but that said (and I really do love the tonal quality of it), it doesn't strike any particular chord in me. I like it for the expertise and experience it took to create, but I probably wouldn't hang it on my wall. Perhaps an odd dichotomy in all of us.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    This is one of those shots my kids have a tendency to make,
    Is that a compliment to me or the kids?!

A set of crayons and a colouring book are in the post

I can see where you were heading with this Donald. It has a good depth to it and I love the dreamy trees in the background. The trees in the foreground are just verging on over-sharpened but I like the effect of that - trees are little b****rs to shoot. The problem for me is with the water it looks really odd. I suspect it could be blowing out of the highlights on the ripples coupled with the sharpening.

I certainly will not be sending you to the housemasters office for this one though

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Wirefox View Post
    The trees in the foreground are just verging on over-sharpened but I like the effect of that - trees are little b****rs to shoot.
    Interesting, because I thought that to, but ......... The only sharpening on this is that which I set as capture sharpen on my raw processor - DxO Optics (clever thing, it always does it automatically) - and very, very slight sharpen after resizing. Must be that d*&% L lens. Just too good!

The problem for me is with the water it looks really odd.
    As I've written elsewhere, I've been having real trouble with Silver Efex Pro2 ever since I got the upgrade. I persevered and got it up for this conversion. But it is sooooo slow. Anyway, I think I've over-cooked the 'fine structure' on the water.

Will try again.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th June 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Must be that d*&% L lens. Just too good!
    mmmm...you know in these particular lighting conditions you my just have a point.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Version 2.

??????????

On the Loch Side

Real Name
    Wendy

Works for me, I liked the first one, but the rework is much better, I love it and to my eye on my screen it has a bit of a sun breaking through the fog look.

Wendy

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutR View Post
    Works for me, I liked the first one, but the rework is much better, I love it and to my eye on my screen it has a bit of a sun breaking through the fog look.
    Thank you, Wendy.

It was taken just before 7am. The sun was up and was beginning to break through the low-lying cloud and mist that was starting to lift off the loch.

I was the only person up and about and it was glorious - why I do photography.
    Last edited by Donald; 4th June 2011 at 08:53 PM.

Real Name
    Henry

That was going to be my suggestion...darken the trees; I've always been interested in tree trunks, limbs and bark - the character of trees. Also incrementally softening the water starting about a quarter up... I like the little guy on the bottom right, the rocks....and, well I can't help but put a human touch to things...the way it seems they are looking to those lush healthy trees across the loch, top right...I like it, tells me a story.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by henry17106 View Post
    I've always been interested in tree trunks, limbs and bark - the character of trees.
    Henry - Thank you for posting up a comment.

I like to think, having grown up on a farm, that I've always had an awareness and respect for the natural environment. But since getting serious about photography just over 2 years ago, I have really learned to look and to see. And you are so right - trees and the detail of the them are fascinating subjects. We did have a tree thread running at one time and the many of the images on there were both wonderful and inspirational. Some of the work on trees that Rob (Marshall) has done and is posted on CiC is well worth searching out.

Real Name
    Kay

I really like the second version more as well, but to me for some reason the wee tree on the right just seems to distract me as doesn't seem part of the while scene for some reason....?.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    but to me for some reason the wee tree on the right just seems to distract me as doesn't seem part of the while scene for some reason....?.
    Mmmm?

I think, though, if you take it away, you end up with a lot of empty space at the right hand side that doesn't work. And I can't see a crop that would remove it and leave a balanced image.

I saw it as a 'full stop' at the end of this isolated little group of trees.