Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Lollipop

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Lollipop

I'm trying flowers again, likely because I don't have much in the way of fantastic places to shoot close to where I live and the Lowe's garden center is handy! This one was processed mostly in Camera Raw as I'm just starting to learn how to do this in Lightroom.

Lollipop

Any C&C is welcomed!

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: Lollipop

That's beautiful Frank.. Love how clear and sharp the flower is! I still don't know how everyone makes their pictures so clear..

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Congratulations, Frank. A very big improvement compared to the first one you posted before. If I may suggest, take the time to shoot the flower at different angles to make it more interesting. Very good, Frank.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks Shannon and Willie! Without a Macro lens, it helps to shoot larger, well defined flowers, use manual focus, and keep the lens parallel to the subject. Now that I'm starting get focus and DoF under control, it's time to move on to adding interest with angles and lines, as Willie points out. Thanks for the support!

Real Name
    Shannon

I definitely think you have the focus and DOF down pat!! I would never have guessed from your photos Frank that you were working on these things, You seem like a pro. Can't wait to see more.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    I definitely think you have the focus and DOF down pat!! I would never have guessed from your photos Frank that you were working on these things, You seem like a pro. Can't wait to see more.
    LOL! Not so much with Landscapes and archetecture, but now that I have something better than a point 'n shoot, I'm exploring areas I hadn't ventured into before as I learn to use the new equipment and software.

Like Jiro says a vast improvement on the first go You are in close, nearly all the light is on the main subject and the background melts away. You have good separation too. Subject is still to close to the background for good focus blur but with this technique you dont need it. Good work.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thanks for the encouragement, Steve!

Real Name
    Henry

As I move my eyes from the center and around to the edge petals, I sense movement from the center petals as if they are opening up. I myself like to shoot the flower in the light and the background in the dark as if it is looking and reaching for the "spotlight"...ready for 'her' close-up...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Thank you Henery! If you find the image interesting to look at then it has accomplished one of its goals.