Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Leaving on a Jet Plane

Real Name
    Chris

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Well, not really...leaving in my Mini Cooper for the great Northeastern states in about 2 1/2 weeks. I will be arriving in Maine sometime around June 22 or 23 and meandering along the coastline for a few days before heading inland and down to NH and VT, finally alighting in Manchester, NH for a week-long workshop in Advanced Digital Editing.

So, all you New Englanders, what are absolute must sees, places to eat, stay, good viewpoints, great coastal shots, quaint villages, etc??? Inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Shannon

Re: Leaving on a Jet Plane

Have fun Chris, Sounds like a great time!! Can't wait to see some pictures of your trip when you get back.

Real Name
    John

Not my area but if you get the chance visit the Mt. Washington Observatory in New Hampshire. I didn't get a chance to see it because I was there in January when it's closed.
    www.mountwashington.org

Also, the town of Waterbury, Vermont is worth visiting especially if you like Keuring coffee and Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    Not my area but if you get the chance visit the Mt. Washington Observatory in New Hampshire. I didn't get a chance to see it because I was there in January when it's closed.
    www.mountwashington.org

Also, the town of Waterbury, Vermont is worth visiting especially if you like Keuring coffee and Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
    Didn't realize Mt. Washington was on one of my planned routes so will definitely go there. Love Ben & Jerry's so might have to make yet one more detour off that planned route. There is an annualMini Event, called Minis on Top, which occurs at Mt. Washington. Unfortunately, it comes a week too early for my plans.
    Last edited by MiniChris; 1st June 2011 at 01:20 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Chris, we lived in Maine for three years in the 60's and some of our favorite places to go in Maine are the Acadia National Park (the view from Cadillac Mountain is great) and Rockport, home of the Lobster Festival and the seaport of Camden. In New Hampshire, the towns of Woodstock and Conway, the Cog Railway to the top of Mt. Washington and the North Conway Scenic railway, the Kancamagus Highway scenic drive is a 'must drive' for your Mini, Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch, the Flume George, the Cannon Mountain Aerial Tramway, the Lost River and (if you are feeling thin) the Bolder Caves. There are phenomenal photo opportunities all around the Washington Forest region. If you get to western Vermont in your quest for ice cream, just over the state line into NY is Fort Ticonderoga a fantastic place to visit. Enjoy your visit!

Real Name
    Chris

Going to map these right now and see which ones I can fit in. Thanks, Frank!

Hey, Chris, what do you like to do? Do you like outdoor adventure? (hiking, camping, kayaking, canoeing, etc., etc., etc.) There's the Long Trail.... Do you like museums and history - what kind? There're lots! Ummmm, I know where some super shops are? Do you just want scenic routes to drive and drive? Are you looking for quaint and picturesque? In Vermont, it's just fun to drive and get good and lost, really. (Psst! Are you a member of AAA - their state travel books have so many great ideas?) Do you like cities or country?

Anyway, Burlington is awfully fun and the view of the mountains, over and across the lake at sunset.... hundreds of people silently watching for an hour - amazingly beautiful! There's a wonderful maritime museum in Portland Maine (which is a big city but there is A LOT to do there.) Down in Southern Vermont, there's Weston and the Weston Playhouse and the VT country Store (!) and it's very quaint and picturesque. Route 100 in VT, actually, is supposedly legendary to drive - just beautiful (I've heard, anyway, I've only been on a bit of it) and I hear that there's a Robert Frost museum, somewhere, along there (it's my goal to get there, this summer.) Sorry,.... there's so much - I'm at a loss.

BTW, besides B&Js ice cream (a must!), if you like beer (which I seem to remember you do)...VT ranks #1 in micro breweries per capita in the US You can read about it HERE to read it's own wikipedia article about it or just google "VT beer"....

"In 2006, MSNBC listed Burlington, VT as the fourth best city in the world for beer lovers behind Amsterdam, Berlin, and Brugge.[2] This would make it the best in The United States."

- I'm saying, it's a serious thing!

Grandma Moses,....Norman Rockwell,....covered bridges....

Real Name
    Chris

Katy, I'm just going to drive and stop when I see something interesting and fun to shoot. Most of my hiking will be in the Flume Gorge and around Mt. Washington in NH and all over the Maine coast. Portland Me has been mentioned by quite a few people, so that is a must...but then, there are a billion lighthouses to shoot as well. This is going to be more of a scouting trip for when I retire and drive the motorhome up that way (and into Nova Scotia and Canada). Thanks to you and everyone who has provided me with pointers and go to's. This is going to be fun!

Real Name
    Peter

Have a great trip Chris. I look forward to seeing the images on your return.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    and into Nova Scotia and Canada
    Hi Chris, there are a lot of fantastic places to see in Canada. We lived there for 12 years in Montreal and Halifax, NS. The Cape Breton, NS in particular has fantastic scenery and places to visit. Enjoy your vacation. I can't wait to see what you post!

Real Name
    Shannon

Chris If you want any good places to visit in Nova Scotia let me know, I lived there for 15 years.. It's beautiful, You will LOVE it!! Make sure you get some fish and chips.!

BTW, Chris, the school year must be winding down for you! When's school out?

Real Name
    Chris

Wish I could make Nova Scotia this time around, but it will have to wait until I retire. School has been out for almost two weeks...whoohoo. We get out early, but also go back early (Aug. 10th).