Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Meet Aishee, my niece

Real Name
    Abhi

Meet Aishee, my niece

Aishee, my niece was visiting us this Sunday. It was fun having her around.

A pensive moment
    Meet Aishee, my niece

Thoughtful
    Meet Aishee, my niece

Playing on the stairs. I wish she had been looking up.
    Meet Aishee, my niece

Finally, posing for a shot
    Meet Aishee, my niece

rob marshall

Re: Meet Aishee, my niece

Abhi

#1 is a very nice portrait. It's a bit soft, but I quite like it here as it matches Aishee's reflective mood. I think the eyes need to be a little brighter and sharper, and also her hair is very dark and it would help to try and bring out some highlights. I did a quick edit if that's OK just to do the eyes, and try and bring out the hair a little. Nice shot.

I did get your PM (I wasn't ignoring you!) But I'm just really busy for the next couple of weeks. Please don't let that stop you PMing though.

Edit on the right
    Meet Aishee, my niece

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

#1 beautifully shows us the unrestrained joy that can be part of childhood. A gloriously refershing and uplifting capture of childhood.

#3 I don't think works because, as you said, she wasn't looking up.

#2 is an intersting image in germs of how you've gone for teh sharpness on the heand and the hand. I like the idea. The top of her ehad beaing so close to the left-hand edge of the frame is, I think, a buit of a problem.

#1 is the classic type of portrait shot on which I always feel uneasy giving a comment because of my own inexperience. The tight close-up works okay for me and the timing of teh shot is very good - capturing her in the most pensive moment.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Abhi

#1 is a very nice portrait. It's a bit soft, but I quite like it here as it matches Aishee's reflective mood. I think the eyes need to be a little brighter and sharper, and also her hair is very dark and it would help to try and bring out some highlights. I did a quick edit if that's OK just to do the eyes, and try and bring out the hair a little. Nice shot.
    Thanks, Rob. The low contrast is by choice. Honestly, I would have liked to sharpen a little more, but this was taken at 1600 ISO with a digital Rebel and I was unable to get much without sharpening noise. So, this is actually SOOC in terms of sharpening.

The changes you have made are subtle, and effective. My list of things to be extra watchful about keeps growing. I normally just brighten the iris, but it seems to me that you have increased the brightness/sharpness for the entire eye. Can you please confirm? Another lesson learnt. (well I hope)

I did get your PM (I wasn't ignoring you!) But I'm just really busy for the next couple of weeks. Please don't let that stop you PMing though.
    No worries. I am in no hurry, and not going anywhere. I have been wandering about trying to find rocks for my next composition exercise - rocks in their environment! I understand that you are painting your house. Good luck with that. Just remember to call on Jiro for any PP help if you screw up.

Abhi

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Just remember to call on Jiro for any PP help if you screw up.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    #1 beautifully shows us the unrestrained joy that can be part of childhood. A gloriously refershing and uplifting capture of childhood.

#3 I don't think works because, as you said, she wasn't looking up.

#2 is an intersting image in germs of how you've gone for teh sharpness on the heand and the hand. I like the idea. The top of her ehad beaing so close to the left-hand edge of the frame is, I think, a buit of a problem.

#1 is the classic type of portrait shot on which I always feel uneasy giving a comment because of my own inexperience. The tight close-up works okay for me and the timing of teh shot is very good - capturing her in the most pensive moment.
    Thank you, Donald. I agree that having some more breathing room would have helped #2. I was getting ready to take a photo of her running back upstairs when she just stopped on her way down. I think she was looking for the ball she had thrown down. I did not want to miss the opportunity, and I had my 50mm equipped so recomposing was not easy.

By the way, did you get a new keyboard, or have you been staying up long hours to get us all those beautiful photos from your trip? Not only are your posts getting lost in cyberspace, but seems to me that someone has been replacing letters here and there in your post. Very uncharacteristic of your posts, so I thought I would ask.

Real Name
    Shannon

sweet pictures of a beautiful little girl, I like the one where she is posing the best

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    sweet pictures of a beautiful little girl, I like the one where she is posing the best
    Thank you, Shannon. It does show the joy of childhood, as Donald said.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Sorry, Jiro. I hope I do not get you into trouble.
    Oh! how did I do at showing emotions? I rarely take photos like these, so I would like to know what you think.

Real Name
    Shannon

I agree! She has very beautiful joyful eyes. I hope you take more of her next time she visits. !

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

I like the second one Abhi,
    Reflection of the thumb/hand ...for me is great

Leo

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

#1 - A pensive moment

- For this one, I was hoping for something more that would connect me with her feelings when you took the shot. The matte white background does not seem to help me really know why she felt that way. Just my personal opinion.

#2 - Thoughtful

This is the one I like most among the set. You put her in the frame with supporting elements in the background. A lot of ways to interpret this image but still a strong image for me.

#3 - Playing on the stairs.

This one is not as strong and as well composed as #2. I guess the reason is that you cropped the image too tight. If you have included more of the other person included in the frame I could interpret the image as if this person is trying to protect the kid from not falling off the stairs while she's going up.

#4 Finally, posing for a shot

This one is a good candid shot and can stand on its own. I can't remember what book have I read this idea but the author once said that "... the eyes will always reveal the true emotion of a person specially in his unguarded moments." I can easily notice the laughter in her eyes on this shot.

These are my personal reaction to these images. I think you did good here. Abhi. Congrats.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    #1 - A pensive moment

- For this one, I was hoping for something more that would connect me with her feelings when you took the shot. The matte white background does not seem to help me really know why she felt that way. Just my personal opinion.

These are my personal reaction to these images. I think you did good here. Abhi. Congrats.
    Thank you, Jiro. It is always insightful to learn about personal reactions of anyone viewing the photos.

Even I do not know the reason for her expressions in #1. The pensive look in that photo probably lasted for 5 seconds. I was just lucky to be able to capture that. Prior to this she was trying her best to not get her photo taken.

And #4 is actually posed. She chose the expressions, of course.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by LeoLeo View Post
    I like the second one Abhi,
    Reflection of the thumb/hand ...for me is great

Leo
    Thanks, Leo.

rob marshall

Quote Originally Posted by abhi View Post
    I understand that you are painting your house. Good luck with that. Just remember to call on Jiro for any PP help if you screw up.

Abhi
    That's an interesting one. If I could Photoshop my house instead of painting it, Jiro would do it in 5 minutes. Guess it's back to the 7 metre high scaffolding and my vertigo.