Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storm clouds

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Storm clouds

Just some storm clouds late in the afternoon taken with wide angle lens for C&C please. I will get it right eventually, even if it kills me. Which it most probably will!

Storm clouds

Storm clouds

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Storm clouds

Ken

Before any of us pitch in with a comment, how about you be the first to critique it?

What do you think works, or doesn't work? If this was someone else's image, what would you say about it?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Thank you Donald. Really on the spot now. And I deserve to be, I guess. But you are right, the more I look at it, the less it hangs together. The lighting of 'blue' sky area was always a major concern. I was trying to bring out the 3d aspect where the front of the black clouds was rolling in over the clear sky. Ugly blotches does come to mind.
    Basically I think it is simply a case that, in terms of using a wide angle lens, I am just not up to scratch at the moment. Probably need to go back a few steps and put in some more groundwork and to be less ambitious.. The more I look at this post the more I regret posting it.
    As for a detailed technical comment on it were it someone else's work? As I have always intimated, I do not have the confidence, and certainly not the competence, do so.
    Ken
    Last edited by ucci; 28th May 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Please accept this as an apology to all for my storm clouds fiasco

Storm clouds

Real Name
    Frank Miller

If we only post the great shots, like your rose, how will we ever learn new areas? A friend of mine once said, "Don't let fear and common sense hold you back." We are all learning. When it's not perfect, find out what needs to be improved, forgive yourself, and forge ahead!

The problem with that rose photo, Ken, is . . .

But back to the original question. Cloudscapes are difficult to get correct; but to me, you are simple too close to your subject.

It gets really dark on the right side; but I want to know what happens beyond that darker area. It is neither a landscape with dark clouds nor a really interesting sky photo. Possibly if it was light feathery white clouds it might have worked better than all that darkness which is making everything seem 'top heavy'.

Just as an experiment, I held a piece of white paper against the screen to create a 2 x 1 approx ratio and, for me, that looks better.

I think there is a great potential with this type of shot - but not every cloud will co-operate.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    If we only post the great shots, like your rose, how will we ever learn new areas? A friend of mine once said, "Don't let fear and common sense hold you back." We are all learning. When it's not perfect, find out what needs to be improved, forgive yourself, and forge ahead!
    Thank you for your gentle, kind encouragement and words of wisdom Frank. But let's face it, a crappy shot is a crappy shot and this one failed badly! It looked a whole lot better in reality than what I came up with. But as you say, ever onwards sounds like a plan!
    Last edited by ucci; 28th May 2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    The problem with that rose photo, Ken, is . . .

But back to the original question. Cloudscapes are difficult to get correct; but to me, you are simple too close to your subject.

It gets really dark on the right side; but I want to know what happens beyond that darker area. It is neither a landscape with dark clouds nor a really interesting sky photo. Possibly if it was light feathery white clouds it might have worked better than all that darkness which is making everything seem 'top heavy'.

Just as an experiment, I held a piece of white paper against the screen to create a 2 x 1 approx ratio and, for me, that looks better.

I think there is a great potential with this type of shot - but not every cloud will co-operate.
    Hi Geoff
    Thank you for taking the time to post comments and helpful advice. I could see it didn't work but just couldn't grasp why not. Thank you for providing me with some insight into some of the reasons why it hasn't gelled.
    Ken

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Ken, I think the Black and White version looks great with a little bit of crop. If I may, something like this:

Storm clouds

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Ken, I think the Black and White version looks great with a little bit of crop. If I may, something like this:

Storm clouds
    Willie,
    Thanks for trying to let me off the hook with your kind comment. And you have once again shown your brilliance in taking the ridiculious and converting it into some thing worth a look. Thank you mate!

Oh! Very, very good words! Thanks for sharing them!

Uff da, Ken! You sound like me. You're in that lovely transition of trying to challenge yourself to go to another level. Maybe, we're just a step ahead of ourselves in starting to sense what kind of photos we want to produce but not always being able to discern how to do it and which ones.

What I like about this shot is the emotion. That is there! so, you've done this shot and the inspiration will come again and, next time, you'll get closer and, then, the next time and, then, the next time.... it can only get better and better, which is something that I definitely see happening with your photos - better and better.

I love the rose! The light and color on it and the shape is very pretty!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    Uff da, Ken! You sound like me. You're in that lovely transition of trying to challenge yourself to go to another level. Maybe, we're just a step ahead of ourselves in starting to sense what kind of photos we want to produce but not always being able to discern how to do it and which ones.

What I like about this shot is the emotion. That is there! so, you've done this shot and the inspiration will come again and, next time, you'll get closer and, then, the next time and, then, the next time.... it can only get better and better, which is something that I definitely see happening with your photos - better and better.

I love the rose! The light and color on it and the shape is very pretty!

Katy, thank you for your very kind and gentle words. I got quite emotional when I read them. I must admit I was feeling quite low about this storm post and had my confidence rather shaken. However, the hands held out to me in support have been a great spirit elevator. I don't feel nearly as bad. Incidently my wife also had an emotional respose to your reply. But for an entirely different set of emotions. I have learned to understand 'mutter ' very well over the years. So, a loose translation of what she uttered went something along the lines of... " Please don't encourage the lazy old sod! He didn't do all that much before and now that he has this bloody camera he does even less around the place!" At that point she had wafted out of muttering distance and any further comment was lost to the winds.
    Thank you all for your kindness
    Ken

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I'm Rolling On the Floor Laughing! Great sense of humor!

Real Name
    Ken Outch

thank you Frank

I'm Rolling On the Floor Laughing! Great sense of humor!
    seeee. told ya.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Quote Originally Posted by Katy Noelle View Post
    seeee. told ya.
    Thank you Katy. But as they say...
    "Of all the portenous tails of woe,
    is that horrendous phrase,' I told you so!' "
    Bye the bye. The rose you admired? Bruno found and ate it this morning!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ucci View Post
    So, a loose translation of what she uttered went something along the lines of... " Please don't encourage the lazy old sod! He didn't do all that much before and now that he has this bloody camera he does even less around the place!"
    I didn't realise there were two of them in the world!

Hi Ken - I've been away for the last 24 hours. Delighted to see that other folks pitched in.

Regarding your comment:
    I must admit I was feeling quite low about this storm post and had my confidence rather shaken.
    That, of course, was not the feeling that I wanted to induce, but I think (and I hope you feel) that you will have taken several steps up the learning ladder by having examined and thought about, this image so closely. Frank hit the nail on the ahead in post #5 above.

It's that level of self-critical analysis that we have to be prepared to go through to really learn. And I'll lay next month's salary on the bet that the next time you look at a sky for a possible shot, you'll be reading it far more critically and carefully in terms of its photographic possibilities and, as a result, will produce an image that is several steps up the quality scale from this one.

So, it's not a case of, 'That image is rubbish. Cheerio'. It's case of, 'Well done for stretching yourself and taking on a challenge, and being prepared to learn from that through discussion with colleagues.'
    Last edited by Donald; 29th May 2011 at 01:03 PM.

Willie. Your version is exactly what I saw when I held that piece of paper against the screen. I think that alternative looks good and dramatic.

And 'cropping' on the screen using 2 pieces of paper is a tip for anybody who has problems visualising alternative possibilities.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Willie. Your version is exactly what I saw when I held that piece of paper against the screen. I think that alternative looks good and dramatic.

And 'cropping' on the screen using 2 pieces of paper is a tip for anybody who has problems visualising alternative possibilities.
    We probably look at things in the same way sometimes. Hehehe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast