Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: New Pocket Wizards: High Speed Sync + Higher X-Sync Speeds + E-TTL over Wireless

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

New Pocket Wizards: High Speed Sync + Higher X-Sync Speeds + E-TTL over Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Peach View Post
    The only time I use ISO 50 with my DSLRs is when I'm shooting portraits in bright light using flashes that won't high speed sync.
    If you're interested Henry, the PocketWizard people have just released a couple of new products that can allow you to sync with flashes at up to twice the normal X-Sync speed.

www.pocketwizard.com

I'm hoping to be first in the queue for the EC version
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 27th February 2009 at 08:08 AM.

Re: Query about ISO 50 Cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    If you're interested Henry, the PocketWizard people have just released a couple of new products that can allow you to sync with flashes at up to twice the normal X-Sync speed.
    I read that at Strobist.com. All my Speedlights will high speed sync, but I am very, very interested in those new Pocket Wizards. It'll be my next gear purchase.

Real Name

Re: Query about ISO 50 Cameras

I read that at Strobist.com. All my Speedlights will high speed sync, but I am very, very interested in those new Pocket Wizards. It'll be my next gear purchase.
    Same.

Beauty of it is that you don't need HSS to get the increased X-Sync speeds - plus - it'll switch over to HSS when needed, AND allow this over a wireless connection. But wait, there's more ... you only need one of the new ones on the Camera - you can still have existing plus IIs etc on the lights (although obviously no E-TTL that way).

Can't wait to get mine. Wouldn't be buying shares in RadioPopper right now

Real Name
    Ali

Re: New Pocket Wizard Models allow High Speed Sync & Higher X-Sync Speeds over Wirele

Colin, do you know if it is fully compatible with Speedlite 430EX?

Real Name

Re: New Pocket Wizard Models allow High Speed Sync & Higher X-Sync Speeds over Wirele

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post
    Colin, do you know if it is fully compatible with Speedlite 430EX?
    580EX II
    580EX
    430EX II
    430EX

Are the ones that they list, but I can't remember off memory if that's for the ETTL side of it (which I don't use) - either way, if you have an 430EX you should be fine.

What they DON'T do is allow adjustment of remote flashes in manual mode from either the master unit or an attached master flash at this stage, but we're hopeful that they'll introduce this with a firmware upgrade. There are limitations when using on a Canon 5D2 as well.

Real Name
    Ali

Re: New Pocket Wizard Models: High Speed Sync & Higher X-Sync Speeds over Wireless

Thanks, Colin. This is very interesting. I was reading about it and have two questions:

It says you can shoot up to 8 fps speed. So there should be some kind of flash that recycles that fast?

And what is so special about 1/8000 sec shutter speed? I mean based on what I remember from the last discussion on flash and shutter speed, after 200, the slit of light sweeps the sensor, so the duration of the sweep is almost the same for all speeds above 200. What does this device achieves that enables it to synch at that speed if the duration is actually similar?

Real Name

Re: New Pocket Wizard Models: High Speed Sync & Higher X-Sync Speeds over Wireless

Quote Originally Posted by sedali View Post

It says you can shoot up to 8 fps speed. So there should be some kind of flash that recycles that fast?
    Some are capable of it - but it depends on how much power they're needing to put out. My 580EX II fed by an external supply could keep up with my 1D3 for 10 shots and 10 FPS at 1/16th power, and got 7 out of 10 shots at 1/8th power.

And what is so special about 1/8000 sec shutter speed? I mean based on what I remember from the last discussion on flash and shutter speed, after 200, the slit of light sweeps the sensor, so the duration of the sweep is almost the same for all speeds above 200. What does this device achieves that enables it to synch at that speed if the duration is actually similar?
    In normal operation the slit travels relatively slowly, but a normal flash is done and dusted in around 1/2000th - so at no point is the sensor fully exposed (via the slit) when the flash burst is that quick. Remember - you're not trying to hit PART of a moving targer whilst the slit travels, you're trying to cover ALL of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    ... you only need one of the new ones on the Camera - you can still have existing plus IIs etc on the lights (although obviously no E-TTL that way).
    It's always nice when the manufacturers consider previous purchases. I wish Canon would do that more often. I spent $500+ on Pocket Wizard stuff last year; I'm very happy it's still going to be useful with the new stuff.

What they DON'T do is allow adjustment of remote flashes in manual mode from either the master unit or an attached master flash at this stage, but we're hopeful that they'll introduce this with a firmware upgrade.
    And this would be much more useful for me than ETTL. I may wait to see how this pans out before I buy. I like ETTL when the flash is on camera and I'm running and gunning, but for off camera flash I'd rather be in manual. I just don't want to have to walk over and lower the light stand every time I need to adjust.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 1st March 2009 at 06:48 PM.

Real Name

Re: New Pocket Wizards: High Speed Sync + Higher X-Sync Speeds + E-TTL over Wireless

And this would be much more useful for me than ETTL. I may wait to see how this pans out before I buy. I like ETTL when the flash is on camera and I'm running and gunning, but for off camera flash I'd rather be in manual. I just don't want to have to walk over and lower the light stand every time I need to adjust.
    I agree - mind you, that part is no different to what we have to do at the moment with pocket wizards.