Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ben Lomond

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Ben Lomond

Poor old Loch and Ben Lomond get photographically assaulted by me once a year when I spend a long weekend in a cottage at the loch side. This is my effort from 2 years ago, not long after I got my DSLR

Your comments on this year's effort are welcome.

Ben Lomond
    40D, EF70-200mm f/4L IS @ 75mm. ISO100. 1/20@f11. Polariser & 5-stop (3 + 2) GND.
    Last edited by Donald; 25th May 2011 at 04:12 PM.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Re: Ben Lomond

I think you did a very good job on the composition and the tonal balance, Donald. Personally, I would probably expose the image more to the right to make the white clouds brighter. Still, a very nice picture to look at.

Very, very beautiful, Donald! I think Jiro is right, though, the light seems dulled. The clouds are spectacular.

Real Name
    Abhi

I really like it, Donald. Beautiful composition.

Real Name
    Chris

I have to go with Jiro and Katy...middle ground is a tad dull and I think it is because everything else is so nicely placed on the tonal scale...shouldn't be terribly hard to make an adjustment.

Real Name
    Wendy

Beautiful Donald as are all of your recent posts, Ross Priory is my favourite so far. This is very nice also, but I am with the others that it seems a bit flat some how or other. As I look at it I think the sky is fine, but I'm wondering if the shadows on the hill could be darkened a bit. I can picture in my mind the shadows from the clouds on the hill and to my way of thinking with this kind of sky there would be more contrast on the hill. Sorry if that is not as it was at the time. I'm probably just picking nits because I read the other comments first. If I had just looked at the shot I would have just said Wow. Ross Priory gets a WOW!! though.

Wendy

Real Name
    Richard

Ben Lomond?

Isn't he the actor that just got divorced from that really pretty actress after she caught him playing hanky-panky? Or am I mistaken?

Great image, I absolutely love the cloud formations.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Thank you all for the comments. You have unlocked the question/doubt/niggle that I had but couldn't 'see' or articulate.

I think I've got the basis of quite a good one, so I'll do some more work on it (but not too much)

ps - Yes, Richard, poor Ben. He's had a hard time from the media!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Thank you all for the comments. You have unlocked the question/doubt/niggle that I had but couldn't 'see' or articulate.

I think I've got the basis of quite a good one, so I'll do some more work on it (but not too much)
    Honestly, I can't wait to see it.

Real Name
    Peter

I can hardly wait, in 60 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 2 seconds I head for your part of the world i don't know if the 20 gig of assorted memory card will be enough.
    Peter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Poider View Post
    I can hardly wait, in 60 days, 17 hours, 22 minutes and 2 seconds I head for your part of the world i don't know if the 20 gig of assorted memory card will be enough.
    You lucky, lucky person!

Do you know where you're going to be in Scotland, Peter? If you have any questions, please just ask.

Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    You lucky, lucky person!

Do you know where you're going to be in Scotland, Peter? If you have any questions, please just ask.
    I will be in Gretna Green, Edinburg, St Andrews, Perth, Highlands, Laggan, Culloden, Inverness, John O'Groats, Orkney Islands, Thurso, Ullapool, Isle Of Sky, Eilean Donan, Glencoe, Loch Lomond, and Glasgow before Leaving via Stranraer to go to Ireland.
    Peter.
    oh and by the way....only 7 days to go.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I will be in Gretna Green, Edinburg, St Andrews, Perth, Highlands, Laggan, Culloden, Inverness, John O'Groats, Orkney Islands, Thurso, Ullapool, Isle Of Sky, Eilean Donan, Glencoe, Loch Lomond, and Glasgow before Leaving via Stranraer to go to Ireland.
    Peter.
    oh and by the way....only 7 days to go.
    With that itinerary, you'll be seeing all the best bits.
    When you go from Edinburgh to St Andrews and into Perth, you'll be passing a few hundred yards from my front door. When you go from Skye past Eilean Donan and on to Glencoe, you'll pass by the front door of the house where I grew up.
    And if you have time in Glasgow and get to the Scotia Bar, you'll be in the place where my greatest social education took place as a student (but that's another story altogether).

Have fun. And report in once you're home.
    Last edited by Donald; 19th July 2011 at 10:06 PM.

Real Name
    Peter

Wow what a holiday, I have 7000 pics to sort I will start putting some on when I settle down a bit
    Peter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Wow what a holiday, I have 7000 pics to sort I will start putting some on when I settle down a bit
    Peter
    Peter

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Not the best summer weather we've ever had in Scotland (!), but I always think that the scenery is all the more dramatic when viewed through grey mist and drizzling rain (well, that's what the tourist board told me to say!).

Can't wait to see some of you images.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd August 2011 at 11:16 AM.

Real Name
    John Wright

My eye went straight to the clouds - really good detail,good use of filters -a big improvement on the one 2 years ago. I love it !

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    My eye went straight to the clouds - really good detail,good use of filters -a big improvement on the one 2 years ago. I love it !
    Thank you, John. It is interesting to track your own progress via old threads when they appear again.