Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Standing Tall

Real Name
    Andre Esterhuizen

Standing Tall

Ok....here is an attempt at something in B&W. I really don't have the eye that Donald has, and I don't think he would appreciate the tone mapping, but I thought it looks kinda cool.
    Taken with my 1000D @ 1/200s & f/8.0. Image shot in JPEG and post processing done in Photomatix and Photoshop Elements 9.
    Y'all tell me what you think.
    Standing Tall

Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

Re: Standing Tall

it is cool..look like HDR to me, quite a bit soft but i would probably make it more sharper....am i right Donald

Real Name
    Dante Apolinar

ahh of course photomatix is HDR...oopps

Real Name
    Ron

I love the angle of view in this photo.Very cool !

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by esteah View Post
    Ok....here is an attempt at something in B&W. I really don't have the eye that Donald has, and I don't think he would appreciate the tone mapping, but I thought it looks kinda cool.

Standing Tall
    It's all about experimentation and finding out what's possible. It's also all about what your vision is.

I do believe in that adage that if you don't believe in what you've produced and are happy with it, then you can't expect anyone else to do so.

So, nothing must ever be off limits so long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone. There's a beautiful power and energy in this image.

You're right in that it's not the sort of post-processing that I turn to for my images, but that isn't relevant. It's what you've done and I think you've done it very, very well. All the elements (sky and tree) work very well together. Despite the power and aggression in the image, it's not jarring. It doesn't unsettle. It's got a nice balanced feel to it.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th May 2011 at 02:18 PM.

Real Name
    Andre Esterhuizen

Thanks for the inspiring words, and the feedback, Donald. I think post processing in photography has a likeness to females and make-up. Make-up should only compliment and sometimes, highlight the features of the face and not be overpowering.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by esteah View Post
    Thanks for the inspiring words, and the feedback, Donald. I think post processing in photography has a likeness to females and make-up. Make-up should only compliment and sometimes, highlight the features of the face and not be overpowering.
    That made me think - is the ultra-tone-mapped look the photographic equivalent of Goth make up?

Some like it, some don't.
    (In fact, I probably prefer it to U-T-M, to be honest)

More seriously, I don't think the image is soft once clicked and viewed at the posted 1,024px × 683px, although the U-T-M and sharpening aren't to my personal taste, I do like the composition.

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Very nice.

Real Name
    Andre Esterhuizen

Yes, I agree, it could have been sharper along the tree trunk. The reference to make-up was a general comment. In this image the tone mapping was for 'effect'.
    Thanks for the feedback.