Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hey now, H-ey now, my Basketball's back....

Real Name
    Kay

Hey now, H-ey now, my Basketball's back....

Well someone had to stop this spread of lovely images of flowers and sunset marinas and dedicating them to each other!

Of course I am just jealous that I cannot do the aforementioned - so instead I will just bore you all again this winter with Basketball season shots.

although if I am truly honest (I can be Donald ) I did think of Peter with this 'triangle' line up one

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Hey now, H-ey now, my Basketball's back....

Very nice imagery... How did you get the shots from the high angle - like over the basket and the cheerleaders in a row?

These shots demonstrate that when you are shooting action which is approaching you (the gals running towards the camera), the action can be stopped using a slower shutter speed. When you shoot at the peak of the action (the players dunking the ball in the net) you can also get by with a slower shutter speed.

Many photographers state that f/2.8 is not fast enough aperture for indoor sports but, you nailed it down. I assume from the focal lengths used, that you were shooting with a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom lens...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 22nd May 2011 at 04:05 PM.

Real Name
    Kay

Hi Richard
    Thankyou for your comments & yes 70 - 200 for these.
    I did wonder about the time, I mostly use 2.8 and 800 or 1250 ISO then adjust the time last hoping it will be fast enough.
    This venue is big game night lighting - so much more than when I follow the schoolkids - then I have to use my 85 1.8 or 50 1.4.
    There is as you saw still some movement in feet or hands - but I don't mind that as long as the player's face is ok.

The prime shooting position above them is from a lighting catwalk - I will try a shot to show that another time.... I usually have that space all to myself as the Club's volunteer photographer... but this time the local newspaper man appeared & wanted to share my secret location.... I was most gracious & didn't push him off

Relief! Someone else commented on the technical. Now, I can say that I've enjoyed seeing these. These frozen action shots are ALWAYS fascinating! I would be pleased as punch with no. 2 if I were the girly in that photo! Then, there are some intense expressions but, Kay, is some of your sense of humor coming out in these, too? or, should I hush and not say that out loud?

Real Name
    Peter

Great anticipation at work here and I did like the triangles. Thanks Kay.