Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Having difficulties using Elements 9

Real Name
    Rachel

Having difficulties using Elements 9

I've recently had to get a new laptop and have installed Elements 9. I've previously used Elements 6 with no problems, but I just can't get this version to even upload photos from my card how I want to!

My current problem is adding metadata to the files when uploading using Photo Downloader. I used to be able to add my name in the copyright bit, but can't find a way to do that now. I've searched for help online and it says I need to:

'In the Standard Photo Downloader dialog box, click Advanced Dialog.'

Well, where on earth is the option to click Advanced Dialog? The attached screen shot shows what I get when I select the get files from camera/card reader option.

Having difficulties using Elements 9

No Advanced option.

Does anyone know how to get it?

Thanks.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Having difficulties using Elements 9

Hi Rachel,

I don't use Elements but in similar programs, when I see "0 Files Selected (26 Duplicate Excluded)" it usually means that it has already loaded those 26 images and won't load them again. If you add one more photo to the camera/data card and try again, it should find one photo to load even though the media now contains 27 images. There may be some settings in Elements you could change to allow you to load the photos multiple times?

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks Frank, but I made the screen shot after I'd uploaded. I just wanted to show that I don't see an Advanced Dialog option and hope someone can talk me through what to do to get that option. In Elements 6, when the downloader started up I could see all the thumbnails of images and could select which I downloaded - here all I see is a single image in top left and it's all or nothing. In Elements 6 I had a righthand panel which had an option to add metadata such as my name... here nothing.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Rachel,
    I'm not sure about Elements 9 but you could try going to preferences and choose Camera or Card Reader and check out the download options there. The preferences could be in the edit dropdown menu. Hope this helps,
    Best Wishes, Pat.

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks Pat.

I only get given two download options in the edit menu for the camera/card reader: automatic and standard. Nowhere can I find advanced.

I've followed the procedure in the help pages for Elements 9:

"The Advanced dialog box of the Adobe Photo Downloader offers all the options in the Standard dialog box plus several additional options. For example, you can view all of the media files stored on a device or preview videos before importing them. You can also add copyright metadata, specify an album for the imported photos, and automatically fix red eye as the images are imported. The settings you specify in this dialog box retain their values until you reset them.

In the Standard Photo Downloader dialog box, click Advanced Dialog.

Thumbnail images of every file on your device appear."

Except there is no advanced dialog option. I've wasted hours getting nowhere trying to do what should be an extremely straightforward procedure!

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Rachel,
    I looked into it a bit and there appears to be a bug in elements 8 and 9,some have it some don't.
    Try this link and see if it works,http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/894/cpsid_89429.html
    Best Wishes
    Pat

Real Name
    Rachel

Thanks again Pat. It seems, then, that it's something I can do nothing about because I can't seem to change my screen resolution height to greater than 768. So uploading photos is going to be a right palaver because I'll have to manually add metadata every time - and be unable to upload only a few selected images from a card unless I use Windows Explorer.

Sigh.

Real Name
    Pat

Rachel,
    You could try deleting elements and reloading it to see if there was a problem with loading the first time,sometimes it works sometimes not.
    Best Wishes and take care,
    Pat