Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Hmm.. he looks like me

Real Name
    Abhi

Hmm.. he looks like me

At the zoo. C&C welcome and appreciated.

Hmm.. he looks like me
    Canon Digital Rebel, Canon 55-250mm IS@250mm @ f/11 for 1/200s, ISO 800

PS: I will be traveling for the next couple of day. I will respond to any comments on my return Sunday night.

Re: Hmm.. he looks like me

To me, Abhi, the background and monkey are too close in colour so I would crop tighter to remove a lot of that distracting background. Maybe try a 5 x 4 ratio. Possibly even a square crop.

And a little bit of background blur might also help.

There is an excellent photo waiting to be produced here. I think it is just a case of getting the monkey to stand out from the background a little more.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    To me, Abhi, the background and monkey are too close in colour so I would crop tighter to remove a lot of that distracting background. Maybe try a 5 x 4 ratio. Possibly even a square crop.

And a little bit of background blur might also help.

There is an excellent photo waiting to be produced here. I think it is just a case of getting the monkey to stand out from the background a little more.
    Thanks, Geoff. How is this? I've used a square crop, and added a background blur.

Hmm.. he looks like me
    Last edited by abhi; 23rd May 2011 at 09:40 AM.

Real Name
    Shannon

Gorgeous Abhi, you can see every hair and detail on the monkey.. He looks soooo cute..! makes me want to hug him.. LOVE this picture!

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Shambhala View Post
    Gorgeous Abhi, you can see every hair and detail on the monkey.. He looks soooo cute..! makes me want to hug him.. LOVE this picture!
    Thank you, Shannon.

Yes that monkey photo looks excellent now.

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    Yes that monkey photo looks excellent now.
    Thanks, Geoff.

Real Name
    Abhi

Re: The early bird

Quote Originally Posted by ashish View Post
    Hmm.. he looks like me

Please click on the image to view the enlarged version.

Comments & Criticism welcome.
    Ashish, I guess you wanted to post your photo in a separate thread. Perhaps, one of the mods can help move it for you. You can use the "Post new thread" button, located above and below the table of contents, when you want to start a thread of your own. Hope this helps

Real Name
    Ashish Chalapuram

Oops! You're right Abhi.... I think i gatecrashed your thread accidentally. Will delete the post and create a new thread. Thanks, Ashish

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

Abhi, nice work on the crop and the edit. If I may add some extra suggestion, you could try darkening the background so the monkey can stand out better on the image.

A request if you may - "Can I borrow this image so I could use it as my new avatar?" Just kidding. Actually, he looks more like me than you do. hahaha!

Real Name
    Abhi

Quote Originally Posted by jiro View Post
    Abhi, nice work on the crop and the edit. If I may add some extra suggestion, you could try darkening the background so the monkey can stand out better on the image.
    Thank you, Jiro. How is this one? I can only darken the bg so much before my awful selection skills in PS become evident

Hmm.. he looks like me

A request if you may - "Can I borrow this image so I could use it as my new avatar?" Just kidding. Actually, he looks more like me than you do. hahaha!

You can borrow this if you wish But, if I had to choose one of my monkey photos for you it would be

Hmm.. he looks like me

To me, this second one looks much wiser, calm, composed, self-assured and cool Sadly, overall the photo needs a crop, and a fair amount of work in PS.

They need to make the backgrounds at zoos more photographer friendly Though, One good part about the zoo where I took these photos, is that they try to use natural boundaries like moats to confine the animals when they can. So, you get a clear view of the animals and they do not seem to feel as confined.

Real Name
    Willie or Jiro is fine by me.

That monkey was funny, too.

Going back to the first image, I think you can still further darken it using a separate curve adjustment layer then apply the brush tool on the mask layer of the curve. My only concern is that I can't take off the idea that the shot seems to have a semi purple cast into it. I don't know, but that is my impression of the shot.

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Abhi
    Loved your pic. Can I add my support for Jiro's comment? The back ground and the subject maybe need greater differentiation. I hope you will overlook my presumption in doing a quick manipulation of your work to try and illustrate this point. And could I please make the point that this is only an opinion on my part. Others may totally disagree. But then, that's the name of the game, isn't it?

Hmm.. he looks like me

Real Name
    Abhi

Going back to the first image, I think you can still further darken it using a separate curve adjustment layer then apply the brush tool on the mask layer of the curve.
    I had used a gradient layer in multiply mode so that the front leaves have the same brightness levels as the stone. I will try using a brush tool. I am not very good with it, so no promises

My only concern is that I can't take off the idea that the shot seems to have a semi purple cast into it. I don't know, but that is my impression of the shot.
    Hmm. I am not very good at identifying color casts. It may very well be there. Is there any way to verify that?

Real Name
    Abhi

Going back to the first image, I think you can still further darken it using a separate curve adjustment layer then apply the brush tool on the mask layer of the curve.
    Updated with the edited photo

I had used a gradient layer in multiply mode so that the front leaves have the same brightness levels as the stone. I will try using a brush tool. I am not very good with it, so no promises

My only concern is that I can't take off the idea that the shot seems to have a semi purple cast into it. I don't know, but that is my impression of the shot.
    Hmm. I am not very good at identifying color casts. It may very well be there. Is there any way to verify that?

PS: Nevermind. A gaussian blur on my original gradient+mask did the trick No brushes

Hmm.. he looks like me
    Last edited by abhi; 24th May 2011 at 05:45 AM.