Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First HDR attempt, suggestions?

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

First HDR attempt, suggestions?

Hey everyone. Well this is my first attempt at HDR. It's not the best shot but I really just wanted to experiment with the feature. I must say I really like the fact that you can customize the detail. It really made the gate pillar stick out nicely.

This shot was taken today around 8:30pm. It is the Allegheny Cemetery in PGH.

Please take a look at the picture and if you have any tips please feel free to let me know. I have a feeling that much of this is kinda experimental and just see what works.

I used 3 images at F/5 , f10, f4 at .5 sec. I played with the levels and removed ghosting. Once I put in CS5 I used an unsharp mask and a reduce noise.

Does anyone see any major problems? Also should I be using unsharp mask with these? I feel that detail kind of gives it a halo as is?

Thanks

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: First HDR attempt, suggestions?

Hi Michael,

Just one quick thing ... try to avoid bracketing by varying the aperture, as it creates problems with different depths of field, and other technical things.

The 2nd thing I was going to mention is that the saturation of a colour changes with how bright it is - and because if this, many HDR programs tend to over-saturate colours, as is the case here (and also some colour shifts). At a minimum, you still need to post-process these images normally once you're done the HDR conversion. Think of HDR conversion finishing at a point where you'd normally start with normal dynamic range images.

Hope this helps

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Re: First HDR attempt, suggestions?

Thanks Colin,

That helps tremendously. I thought HDR you bracketed by S not A priority. Obviously i got the two mixed up. I will try to research some more and give it another shot.

Thanks you for your help!