Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Ice Storm

Real Name
    Jack

Ice Storm

I took this photo around December / January of an intense ice storm. I tried my hand at editing.
    C&C is always welcome.

Ice Storm

original
    Ice Storm

Jack

Re: Ice Storm

Beautiful capture, this is as close as this Florida boy wants to get, however!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Criky - I thought it was a infra-red capture for a second!

It is breathtakingly beautiful, but makes my teeth chatter!

Quote Originally Posted by tsiya View Post
    It is breathtakingly beautiful, but makes my teeth chatter!
    Me too! Just for fun, (or out of cruelty?) here's a shot I took among holiday snaps around the same time.

Ice Storm

The Ice Storm is a beautiful shot BTW, but not my scene, if you know what I mean!

Roxy

I seldom wear shoes except for weddings and funerals!

Real Name
    Jack

I enjoy living throughout the seasons, BUT that shot Roxy makes me want to pack-up and head toward warmer climates. Bloody Mary & eggs for breakfast and Margaritas and Paninis for lunch. My family could have us packed in an hour....

Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

Nice shots Jack. Looks pretty cold...could you walk across that lake for a closeup of ice covered trees?

Chuck

and I thought it was cold here! I particularly like the blue cast to the ice, I assume it actually looked that colour to the eyes too, either way whether "real" or manipulated good choice as it makes it look even colder.

All I can say is nice shot and I'd rather you than me I prefer the second pic personally due to the wider angle. Also I like the 3 horizontal bands and the trees "band" seems brighter on the second. The only improvement I could suggest is clone out the grass at the bottom of the shot, covering the bottom of the screen makes it look even colder to me. I personally would partially crop it and clone the little bit left out so as to keep the nice equal sized 3rd (of vertical) ratio as it seems nicely balanced.

Alternately white up the grass to make it look snow covered but I'd go with crop/clone to give the impression you are taking the photo from the ice and make it look more vast and to avoid detracting from the balanced look. Obviously if you deliberately left it in then ignore this. I must admit I prefer icy or dark scenes a lot of the time to sunny or bright, what that says about me is kind of worrying (I don't think I want to dig to deeply, I'm weird enough as it is hehehehe).