Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm Struggling Here

Real Name
    Mary... or Lucy... either is fine with me. ;)

I'm Struggling Here

So... we live 3 houses from the beach, there's a boardwalk that goes for a couple of miles in front of hotels, restaurants, street vendors, we've got the beach, the ocean the fishing pier, beach houses... and I can't seem to compose anything... nuthin'.

Today was a kite festival. I thought it would be a great opportunity. I take about 100 images and get... not much worth getting. Nothing's clicking. What do you focus on with all the stuff going on? I wanted to capture kites because I thought it sounded 'happy' and I'm on a quest for happy.

Be gentle... I cry a lot these days as well.

dsc_0002copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Paul

Re: I'm Struggling Here

No need to be gentle Mary, this shot appeals to me. I think you exposed nicely and I love the colors. This shot gives me the feeling of freedom, hanging out on the beach with a light breeze and nothing better or more important to do than....go fly a kite. There are times when things don't click and it is usually..... for me.... when I am trying to hard to find a shot rather than just enjoying being out.

Real Name
    That is my real name.

Hi Mary,

How about this as a beginning...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelucydog View Post
    So... we live 3 houses from the beach, there's a boardwalk that goes for a couple of miles in front of hotels, restaurants, street vendors, we've got the beach, the ocean the fishing pier, beach houses... and I can't seem to compose anything... nuthin'.
    I like that one too. It's all about colour and you've packed it full of that.

As for the hotels, vendors, beach, etc etc. is there any opportunity in getting in close. In other words go for colour and texture. Never mind about getting a whole beach house into the frame. What about a colourful door? What about a tight crop on a street vendor? How aboiut close ups of soemthing about the front of the hotels or the restaurants?

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

I like it just the way it is - seriously.

I write a few articles for Singh-Ray - and I remember an eMail exchange with my contact there ... he was telling me of how Darwin Wiggett (very talented photographer from Canada who also writes articles for them) told him of his "rediscovery of the joy of photography". I think that Darwin had fallen into the same rut that many of us are guilty of (myself definitely included) where we get into this mindset where we think that EVERY photo has to be a "trophy", instead of just capturing a nice image as a record to remind us of that moment in time.

I'm pretty guilty of doing that a lot - I'm always thinking "where's the next killer shot" - what's likely to sell - only shoot at dusk and dawn - and here I was with a family growing up quickly around me, and here I am - a professional photographer - not taking any shotos of them. Easy fixed of course ... I just had to change my thinking and make the effort. Doesn't have to be a "winner" - just something I can enjoy for the sake of enjoying it

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

Perhaps stop trying so hard and just enjoy it!
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 5th August 2011 at 12:36 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I like that one too. It's all about colour and you've packed it full of that.

As for the hotels, vendors, beach, etc etc. is there any opportunity in getting in close. In other words go for colour and texture. Never mind about getting a whole beach house into the frame. What about a colourful door? What about a tight crop on a street vendor? How aboiut close ups of soemthing about the front of the hotels or the restaurants?
    I'm always afraid of intruding on someone else's space and being where I don't belong . I guess because I have keep a protective bubble around myself... and I keep thinking somebody will want to take my camera and cram it down my throat.

There are some beautiful houses and I know down the way there is a row of bright colored beach huts... I'll have to take a walk and look at doors and windows and try and not look at the 'whole' thing. Thank you, Donald.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    No need to be gentle Mary, this shot appeals to me. I think you exposed nicely and I love the colors. This shot gives me the feeling of freedom, hanging out on the beach with a light breeze and nothing better or more important to do than....go fly a kite. There are times when things don't click and it is usually..... for me.... when I am trying to hard to find a shot rather than just enjoying being out.
    Thank you, Paul. I think I am trying too hard and filling my brain with too much information...

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I like it just the way it is - seriously.

I write a few articles for Singh-Ray - and I remember an eMail exchange with my contact there ... he was telling me of how Darwin Wiggett (very talented photographer from Canada who also writes articles for them) told him of his "rediscovery of the joy of photography". I think that Darwin had fallen into the same rut that many of us are guilty of (myself definately included) where we get into this mindset where we think that EVERY photo has to be a "trophy", instead of just capturing a nice image as a record to remind us of that moment in time.

I'm pretty guilty of doing that a lot - I'm always thinking "where's the next killer shot" - what's likely to sell - only shoot at dusk and dawn - and here I was with a family growing up quickly around me, and here I am - a professional photographer - not taking any shotos of them. Easy fixed of course ... I just had to change my thinking and make the effort. Doesn't have to be a "winner" - just something I can enjoy for the sake of enjoying it

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

I'm Struggling Here

Perhaps stop trying so hard and just enjoy it!
    I think maybe you're right.

Real Name

Thank you, Jo.

Real Name
    That is my real name.

You are welcome Mary. And btw - I did a quick B&W conversion on your shot. I thought it looked very interesting.

Real Name

I think maybe you're right.
    Why don't we all have a "go take a photo of something interesting in our little part of the world and post it here" day? Only rule is it isn't allowed to be a "trophy" shot!

Who's up for it?

Real Name

Why don't we all have a "go take a photo of something interesting in our little part of the world and post it here" day? Only rule is it isn't allowed to be a "trophy" shot!

Who's up for it?
    Well, since I'm the resident expert on non-tropy shots... I'm in.

Real Name
    John

You need to get into the mind of a tourist and re-approach your own neighborhood like it's the first time seeing it. And for fun, pack a lunch in a backpack with an Air Italia or Luthansa symbol on it and people will think "how great she traveled all this way just to photograph my house".

Real Name

Well, since I'm the resident expert on non-tropy shots... I'm in.
    Ha - you'd change your mind if you saw some of the ones that don't get put online!

I'm Struggling Here

Real Name
    Mark

I'm always afraid of intruding on someone else's space and being where I don't belong . I guess because I have keep a protective bubble around myself... and I keep thinking somebody will want to take my camera and cram it down my throat....
    Know exactly what you mean. I've much happier off in the rain forest of on the beach by myself.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman View Post
    You need to get into the mind of a tourist and re-approach your own neighborhood like it's the first time seeing it. And for fun, pack a lunch in a backpack with an Air Italia or Luthansa symbol on it and people will think "how great she traveled all this way just to photograph my house".
    Well... I sort of am a tourist... we've only been here 3 weeks, maybe. Good idea on the airline symbol.

Real Name

Ha - you'd change your mind if you saw some of the ones that don't get put online!

I'm Struggling Here
    You're funny, Colin. Thank you.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    Know exactly what you mean. I've much happier off in the rain forest of on the beach by myself.
    I get it.

Real Name
    Mark

............I think that Darwin had fallen into the same rut that many of us are guilty of (myself definitely included) where we get into this mindset where we think that EVERY photo has to be a "trophy", instead of just capturing a nice image as a record to remind us of that moment in time.

I'm pretty guilty of doing that a lot - I'm always thinking "where's the next killer shot" - what's likely to sell - only shoot at dusk and dawn - and here I was with a family growing up quickly around me, and here I am - a professional photographer - not taking any shots of them. Easy fixed of course ... I just had to change my thinking and make the effort. Doesn't have to be a "winner" - just something I can enjoy for the sake of enjoying it
    Colin, give up this photography thing and do psychoanalysis full time; you're very good at it
    Mary, I love the kites just the way they are and I share you frustrations and doubt.

Here's my typical photography outing:

1) Talk myself into abandoning the family for a few hours or day, accept the guilt that comes with that.
    2) Arrive at destination unhappy with my timing and location, and unsure of what to take.
    3) Take hundred of pics and be disappointed with 99%. "What am I doing here?"
    4) Come home, happy that I went to the effort.
    5) Start editing; disappointed in the majority as usual.
    6) Over the next few days get happier with the results.
    7) Over the next week become very pleased with some images that "I" really like.
    8) Be really pleased if anyone else likes them

All this sound rather pathetic and is probably born out of believing I don't have an "arty" bone in my body. But I strike (personal) gold every now and again which keeps me smiling.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    Colin, give up this photography thing and do psychoanalysis full time; you're very good at it
    Mary, I love the kites just the way they are and I share you frustrations and doubt.

Here's my typical photography outing:

1) Talk myself into abandoning the family for a few hours or day, accept the guilt that comes with that.
    2) Arrive at destination unhappy with my timing and location, and unsure of what to take.
    3) Take hundred of pics and be disappointed with 99%. "What am I doing here?"
    4) Come home, happy that I went to the effort.
    5) Start editing; disappointed in the majority as usual.
    6) Over the next few days get happier with the results.
    7) Over the next week become very pleased with some images that "I" really like.
    8) Be really pleased if anyone else likes them

All this sound rather pathetic and is probably born out of believing I don't have an "arty" bone in my body. But I strike (personal) gold every now and again which keeps me smiling.
    It doesn't sound pathetic at all... it sounds very familiar. Striking gold every now and again is good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast