Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: A lady from Oman in colour and B&W

Real Name
    Ghanim

A lady from Oman in colour and B&W

Hi
    This is an Omani lady in the traditional dress during Muscat festival, here I would inform the Administrator that his condition of the photo to be taken at the same month is not applicable here in Oman, as it is hot and very shiny in addition to dusty sky.
    All my photos are from January 2011 and earlier. I would participate to the monthly compitition in case accepting my photos by ignoring the above condition.
    I just hope so and do not want to break the forum laws.

rob marshall

Re: A lady from Oman in colour and B&W

Ghanim

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm surprised that it's OK to photograph Muslim women up close like this, but maybe these things are OK in Oman. As for the shot itself, I find the black visor very intrusive in a portrait as it breaks up the normal feature lines of the face, which is quite disconcerting. There is also the practical problem of it causing shadows on the left side of her face. I prefer the colour version, as the colours are very rich.

Hope my comments have not caused any offense. None intended.

Real Name
    Ghanim

Re: A lady from Oman in colour and B&W

Hi Marshal
    This photo was taken during Muscat festival so the photography was allowed there. I accept your comments with full respect as that is why I post here.
    The black visor is traditional mask for Omani ladies in some regions of Oman. Yes there is a shadow on the left side of her face and it was just a trial from me to capture that moment.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by rob marshall View Post
    Ghanim

I have mixed feelings about this. I'm surprised that it's OK to photograph Muslim women up close like this, but maybe these things are OK in Oman. As for the shot itself, I find the black visor very intrusive in a portrait as it breaks up the normal feature lines of the face, which is quite disconcerting. There is also the practical problem of it causing shadows on the left side of her face. I prefer the colour version, as the colours are very rich.

Hope my comments have not caused any offense. None intended.