Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: 1ds mark 3 vs 5d mark2

Real Name
    Neno

1ds mark 3 vs 5d mark2

Friend of mine asked me to post this question here so if all inputs are welcome..

"Currently I own a 1d mark 2 and I am thinking of upgrading to one of these two models. Basically my current camera is not satisfying my needs since I mostly do weddings (Europe) which are rally dynamic and fast (dancing etc) ISO is my main problem with this one.

So I would like to ask current owners of these two models to give me a hand and make the decision easier to me."

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: 1ds mark 3 vs 5d mark2

Your friend isn't Russ who started this thread?

I know it's not the same question, but amazing to see two so similar coming along at the same time. It's fate!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

The 5D2 doesn't have dual media capability and thus isn't "best practice" for wedding photography. Sounds to me like the Canon EOS 1D4 might be a better choice - it has dual media - sufficient MP - high ISO performance - and speed.

Real Name
    Neno

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Your friend isn't Russ who started this thread?

I know it's not the same question, but amazing to see two so similar coming along at the same time. It's fate!
    WOW really strange coincidence.
    no, its not the same person but then again rally close in thoughts..

Real Name
    Jeff Mollman

I personally would say if money's not an issue then by all means stick to Canon's 1 series cameras. I carefully considered the same thing and ended up on the 1Ds mk III for several reasons. The 5d mk II doesn't have the amazing 45 auto-focus points, the dual media capabilities, the large battery which can do up to 1800 frames on a charge (frame count per charge varies depending on how much you use the LCD monitor), the more rugged weather sealed construction, etc.

As far as the 1D mk IV... I considered that one too... but decided against it too for various reasons. As far as the high ISO and noise handling... it's really not any better than the 1Ds mk III. The only difference is they make it go ridiculously high but the noise levels are so bad that those ISO settings aren't usable anyway. The frame rate is amazing, but I personally prefer a body with a full frame sensor to the APS-C or the APS-H format. When I was reading reviews and reports on camera bodies trying to make up my mind as to what would be the best camera for me I was surprised to find a good number of reviews saying that they (the person writing the review) had upgraded from the 5d mk II to the 1D mk IV and was rather disappointed and went back to their 5d mk II. It seems to me that the 1D mk IV is manufactured with sports/action photography in mind. A category that doesn't include wedding photography. Don't get me wrong, it does work just fine. But for a number of reasons I personally feel that (and a lot of reviews I've read say this also) that the 1Ds mk III is a better choice for that particular job. The full frame sensor also renders a better background blur, or bokeh which is why many professionals say they will only use a full frame sensor.

Anyway... that's my two cents worth. All three are great cameras. I have a brother-in-law that uses a 1D mk IV, and a close friend that uses the 5d mk II. I looked at them, considered the functionality of each one and decided that the 1Ds mk III was the way to go and I haven't been disappointed. It's an amazing camera.

Good luck with the camera hunt!