Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: It is a darn shame...

Real Name
    Richard

It is a darn shame...

San Diego County, California has wonderful weather. But, we basically live in a desert; a desert that is always short of water. However, what happens when it rains? There are too few impoundments and the dams are too damn (pun intentional) small to store enough water for our use. When we get rains, which is all too seldom, water gushes over our dams like this one on Lake Hodges in Northern San Diego County and merrily makes its way down to the Pacific Ocean. Just think about how many homes could be supplied with just an hours worth of the water that is traveling down to the ocean and doing no one any good on it's trip.
    It is a darn shame...

Real Name
    Mario

Re: It is a darn shame...

A damn shame and shame on that damn for being inadequate. Crisp image and good info to go along with it. I like the mixture of blue, browns, and rusty orange as well as the center rock leading the eye up against the flow of the detailed water.

Real Name
    Chris

I hope I can be picky and not get pummeled by the you and the rest of the gang, but while I like the scene, I am somewhat baffled by all the black framing...as black is almost nonexistent in the photo. Perhaps a wider white area, followed by a narrow brown frame, which I think would pull the eye in, instead of out.

san diego is never out of water. they always have plenty! they take all of ours up here in norcal and we run short!

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BradSut26 View Post
    san diego is never out of water. they always have plenty! they take all of ours up here in norcal and we run short!
    Brad....did you perchance attend the Santa Rosa Magnet School? And, was Tanya Braunstein your photo teacher, or do you know of her? She is a very good friend of mine.

Real Name
    Richard

One of the best things that has happened to the ecology in San Diego is the economic slump. This has prevented (or rather slowed down) the run-away development prevalent in this area. As an example, a 1,500 unit residential devellopment was cancelled in San Diego's North County. Just what we need - more houses!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
    I hope I can be picky and not get pummeled by the you and the rest of the gang, but while I like the scene, I am somewhat baffled by all the black framing...as black is almost nonexistent in the photo. Perhaps a wider white area, followed by a narrow brown frame, which I think would pull the eye in, instead of out.
    In general terms, I like a black border and some white space so that it isolates the image, and thus so that I'm not distracted by it's surroundings.

I guess in real world terms, if I were judging a photo competition, I'd like to be able to pop an image on a large white piece of card so that I could evaluate it properly ... in contrast, if an image were simply popped onto of a pile of other images, it would be far more difficult so evaluate it properly.