Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WACOM tablets for photo editing

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: WACOM tablets

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Just tell me what you get out of it; which photos couldn't you do without it, or show excellence that can't be achieved without it. I don't think you will know because you haven't tried.
    With respect, Steve, I think we have tried and know what the differences are.

I could not process a photograph without using the tablet (well, I could, but I wouldn't make such a good job of it).

I think it's perfectly reasonable for those of us who are advocates of using a Graphics Tablet, to say so and set out the reasons why. No-one has to agree with that view, but it still doesn't make it wrong. We each take a different approach to how we work.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by arith View Post
    Just tell me what you get out of it;
    The biggest difference is the fact that the stylus is pressure sensitive, whereas the mouse button isn't (eg 2048 levels -v- 2 levels) - so things like painting masks is made many many times easier and more accurate.

Nothing that can't be done with mouse alone, but then again, you could probably build a house using only a swiss army knife, but it would also be pretty slow and painful.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

I am not sure how these work, so sorry for dumb questions.

Can you zoom in on an image with these tablets? Do they work like a normal monitor, but you use a pen instead of a mouse? I often need to make very complicated and intricate selections and trying to do them with the mouse is an achy-hand nightmare.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post

Can you zoom in on an image with these tablets? Do they work like a normal monitor, but you use a pen instead of a mouse? I often need to make very complicated and intricate selections and trying to do them with the mouse is an achy-hand nightmare.
    Hi Kit,

I can only speak about the Intuos 4 range, but yes. They have a programmable touch ring, with 4 modes that can be used for things like zooming and changing brush sizes.

PS: Point your browser here.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th February 2011 at 02:38 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Klickit View Post

Kit

As per Colin's answer - My little Bamboo also has a finger pad at the top. I can zoom in and out. It also has 4 touch buttons that can be set for a range of functions; e.g. one of mine moves me between whatever applications I have open at the time (i.e. an alternative to Alt+Tab).

As Colin says, you think of the pen as your direct alternative to the mouse, but now with far greater fine control. Try drawing a picture on a piece of paper with a pencil held in your hand in a fist grip. Now hold your pencil normally between your fingers and do the same drawing. In which position do you have greater control? That's the difference between Mouse and Tablet.

If I understand correctly what your need is, then, in my mind, it would be a no-brainer.
    Last edited by Donald; 24th February 2011 at 07:57 AM.

Real Name
    Kit, aka Slimtla

Thanks for the responses guys. This is going straight onto my "Most Wanted" list.

Now I just need to find a sugar daddy....

Real Name
    Adrian Asher

Steve, for me the use of a tablet is essential, not necessarily because it enables me to do things that I couldn't do without a tablet, but for speed. Using a tablet I am able to work MUCH more quickly.

The process of 'painting' with tools such as dodge/burn is made considerably easier/quicker due to the pressure sensitivity and drawing tasks such as making complex selections is much more intuitive with a stylus and tablet. This can halve that time I spend on such tasks when compared with using a mouse.

Also, whether working on photographs, page layout or just using office applications, the basic process of navigating around the screen is much quicker, especially with a large monitor or multiple monitor setup. Using the tablet in absolute positioning mode you don't need to run the cursor around the screen in the way you do with a mouse. With a little practice you find that you always place the stylus/cursor exactly where you need it to be. It may only save a second or two each time you need to reposition the cursor from one area to another, but if you do that half a dozen times a minute you can save 5-10 minutes out of each hour. Over the course of a busy week this alone can save me several hours.
    Last edited by Ady; 6th March 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Real Name

This little Scott Kelby / Wacom spoof might make you all smile ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysEyN...eature=related

Real Name
    Amanda

I have been thinking about getting a tablet for a while now but I heard someone say something that put me off for a bit. He was saying that once he installed the tablet he had problems with display on his computer. Some sort of interference. I use a projector with my lap top 3 times a week for tutorials and the last thing I want is a conflict. I am a bit green on many computer geeky things but I do know that communication between a laptop and a projector can be very sensitive at times, I have witnessed it for myself and with others, even with real computer geeks. I wouldnt want to tamper with the delicate equilibrium between my laptop and my projector by installing tablet software. But I would like a tablet !

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by ABPhoto View Post
    I have been thinking about getting a tablet for a while now but I heard someone say something that put me off for a bit. He was saying that once he installed the tablet he had problems with display on his computer. Some sort of interference. I use a projector with my lap top 3 times a week for tutorials and the last thing I want is a conflict. I am a bit green on many computer geeky things but I do know that communication between a laptop and a projector can be very sensitive at times, I have witnessed it for myself and with others, even with real computer geeks. I wouldnt want to tamper with the delicate equilibrium between my laptop and my projector by installing tablet software. But I would like a tablet !
    Hi Amanda,

Noting is ever guaranteed 100% in life, but I wouldn't anticipate any problems with your display when using a tablet -- there are millions of them out there and I don't think many have issues with them ... mine is certainly fine.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by ABPhoto View Post
    He was saying that once he installed the tablet he had problems with display on his computer.
    I've certainly never heard of that one. Like Colin, I've never had any problem whatsoever.

Real Name
    Will

This was probably a poorly built driver for a off brand tablet that caused this problem. If you go with a Wacom, they do a good job of the drivers and the construction of the tablets.

-Sonic

Real Name
    Kay

Hi All
    Coming in to this discussion late - My nearest and dearest came home from work with this thing that was sitting on the shelf and no one was using it....
    It is a wacom Intuos3 - I have looked in the usual spots on the net for How-to and downloaded the manual...
    But both of these resources seem to presume some basic knowledge of what to do how to use it....
    Which naturally I haven't got - Does anyone have a site/link they can suggest that is the most beginner of beginner levels...
    After 20+ years ultrasounding my right arm is 'dodgy' to say the least and after spending a lot of time yesterday dbl processing 1 image to show shadow and highlight details my wee shoulder is saying 'stop trying to draw with that brick'..

Thanks in advance

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by wilgk View Post
    Does anyone have a site/link they can suggest that is the most beginner of beginner levels...
    You won't believe this, but Kelby Training has a video on it!

Real Name
    Kay

No I most certainly do believe you and trust me I did go there - but could only find videos on newer models and/or past the basics of 'this is how you turn it on' and then go from there..
    But I will search there again - I must have only had a girl look.

Real Name
    Pops

I must have only had a girl look.

Thank you for that phrase. I think I shall find a use for it.

Pops

Real Name

Ah - I was actually meaning the Intuos 4 version - thought that would be close enough.

Real Name
    Angela

Due to the angle, slightly extended, I was getting pains in my wrist using a mouse so I got a wacom intuos 3 a long time ago now and haven't had the slightest problem since. Add to that the pen is much more precise than the mouse, it's a lot easier to draw with the pen.

Real Name
    Kay

Thanks Angela - that is good to hear....now I just have to find my simple 'how to use this thing' guide and I'll be set

The RSI problems I have are endemic amongst Sonographers who have been doing it for many many years.
    There is often quite a bit of pressure required and this with your arm extended from your body.
    Now they teach people about the problems which wasn't the case when I started and some voice activated functions are now common on a lot of machines.....

Real Name
    Brian

I'm going to go broke if I keep frequenting this web site!
    Now I need a tablet too....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast