Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Courthouse from the ice C&C?

Real Name
    Tim

Courthouse from the ice C&C?

It almost looks as if the image could use some added noise? It looks a little like a drawing to me. I used all my skills, but I can see that this could be better.

The railings come out individually as detail in the original image, but they blur together when I shrink it for the web. I used bicubic sharper re-sampling in image size.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Courthouse from the ice C&C?

Quote Originally Posted by tameigh View Post
    The railings come out individually as detail in the original image, but they blur together when I shrink it for the web. I used bicubic sharper re-sampling in image size.
    Tim

Yep, one of the problems that comes with elements like railings. I once had a nightmare with leaves on a tree to the extent that I abandoned the idea of trying to re-size it for the web. Sometimes we've just got to accept that technology can't solve every problem!

I think there's a lovely brightness and clarity to this. You can feel the cold, fresh air. I wonder if there's just a bit too much ice showing at the bottom, which is not adding anything to the 'story' of the image. Cropping it a bit up from the bottom would still leave us being told that the water is frozen over and contribute to the scene, but would throw even more attention onto the buildings.

Real Name
    Tim

Re: Courthouse from the ice C&C?

Donald,
    After reading what you wrote, I went back and looked at the downsized image at 400%, to get back to the original size. I can see that the individual balusters are simply lost due to resolution, but I also noticed that the resizing seemed to have introduce some color into the image at the railings, kind of like a prism effect, I guess, so I desaturated that part of the image and then faded the desaturation just so that the purples and blues did not come back.

I also did a tighter re-crop. OK, it is a different picture zoomed in more optically and then cropped, but I see what you mean about overdoing the ice. Still, I think I like the original composition a little better, maybe with some of the ice removed, and some of the sky, changing the aspect ratio, but not the width.