Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Zoom lens vs Telephoto Zoom lens

Zoom lens vs Telephoto Zoom lens

What is the difference between them?
    I found that zoom lens are mostly shorter than telephoto zoom lens. But what is the main diff ? Anyone help. Thanks.

Re: Zoom lens vs Telephoto Zoom lens

Welcome to the forums!

Prime lenses = fixed focal lengths.
    Zoom lenses = covers a range of focal lengths. Eg. 24-70mm, 70-200mm. Most 'pro' grade glasses have a constant aperture of f/2.8. Others have variable aperture eg. 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6.

(Ultra) Wide angle = 35mm or shorter (debatable).
    Normal = 50mm
    Telephoto = greater than 50mm (debatable).
    There is also something called a short telephoto, or portrait focal length = 85mm to 135mm

*please note that these names given to different focal lengths are only true on a 35mm camera.

You may also come across "fisheye", macro, or tilt-shift lenses. Fisheye lenses have extreme barrel distortion, macro lenses focus close, while tilt-shift lenses allow you to do advance stuff. See these 3 websites:
    Therefore, a zoom lens is a generic term given to a lens which covers a range of focal lengths. A telephoto zoom lens is a type of zoom lens that has a longer focal length (ie. more reach). Eg, 200-400mm f/4.0.

Does this help?

Real Name
    Doug

A zoom lens can vary the focal length to get a tighter image optically.

A telephoto lens is any fixed lens that has a focal length greater than that of the average human eye.

Real Name
    Remco

I'd say a zoom lens is one that has variable focal length, a telephoto lens has an angle of view less than the human eye (in practice 70+mm on a 35mm or full frame camera) (focal length of the human eye is in the order of 25-30mm iirc...)

So a zoom telephoto lens would cover a range of focal length starting above 50-70 mm.

Conclusion: A telephoto zoom lens is a zoom lens, like there are wide angle zoom lenses (e.g. 10-20mm). more specific terms than zoom tell you about the range of focal lengths covered

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by revi View Post
    Conclusion: A telephoto zoom lens is a zoom lens, like there are wide angle zoom lenses (e.g. 10-20mm). more specific terms than zoom tell you about the range of focal lengths covered
    This gets my vote

Thanks all!
    I was doing research on zoom lens as I need one to shoot my son soccer game. Currently, I'm using Nikon 18-55mm (the one that came with D3100 kit) and found that the zoom is not close enough, any recommendation?
    My body is D3100 and budget is less than US$500. Thanks!

Real Name
    John

And let's not forget the super telephoto covering 80-infinitymm.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by adrian888 View Post
    Thanks all!
    I was doing research on zoom lens as I need one to shoot my son soccer game. Currently, I'm using Nikon 18-55mm (the one that came with D3100 kit) and found that the zoom is not close enough, any recommendation?
    My body is D3100 and budget is less than US$500. Thanks!
    Hi Adrian,

Didn't realise you were such a shiny, new member - welcome to the CiC forums from me.

If for a D3100, you'll need an "AF-S" lens if Nikon, or one that has a USM motor in if third party - I would suggest that manually focusing won't be viable option, so steer clear of Nikon "AF" and "D" lenses, only "AF-S" will do.

I'd recommend the Nikon 70-300mm VR, that might go a tad over your budget though, not sure about US(?) prices.
    The Nikon 55-200mm is cheaper and lighter, but you obviously lose on 'reach', so might need to crop more.
    Personally, I don't buy 'third party' these days; I had AF compatibility issues, but some swear by them (rather than at them)

Is the "soccer" indoor or outdoor?
    Daylight or floodlit?

Cheers,

Real Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Adrian,

Didn't realise you were such a shiny, new member - welcome to the CiC forums from me.

If for a D3100, you'll need an "AF-S" lens if Nikon, or one that has a USM motor in if third party - I would suggest that manually focusing won't be viable option, so steer clear of Nikon "AF" and "D" lenses, only "AF-S" will do.

I'd recommend the Nikon 70-300mm VR, that might go a tad over your budget though, not sure about US(?) prices.
    The Nikon 55-200mm is cheaper and lighter, but you obviously lose on 'reach', so might need to crop more.
    Personally, I don't buy 'third party' these days; I had AF compatibility issues, but some swear by them (rather than at them)

Is the "soccer" indoor or outdoor?
    Daylight or floodlit?

Cheers,
    The Nikkor 70-300mm AF-S VR 4.0.5.6G sells for less than $200.00 U.S.

Which one is good for both indoor and outdoor soccer. Thanks!
    Nikon AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR II DX Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Or
    Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED VR Telephoto Zoom Lens

Real Name
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by adrian888 View Post
    Which one is good for both indoor and outdoor soccer. Thanks!
    Nikon AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G ED VR II DX Telephoto Zoom Lens
    Or
    Nikon AF-S 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED VR Telephoto Zoom Lens
    I would expect that neither of these lenses would be good for indoor soccer because of their slow aperture at longer focal lengths. An f/5.6 aperture probably just isn't fast enough to give you a decent shutter speed in the expected low light level of an indoor soccer field even shooting with a relatively high ISO. Most non-professional indoor sports venues in the USA are not that well lit...

Either lens would be adequate for outdoor soccer during a decently bright day but, would not make it at night under lights. I don't know about the speed and accuracy of the auto-focus of these lenses on your camera. However, shooting on a bright day using ISO 400 would allow you to shoot at about 1/3200 second under bright sunlight using f/5.6 and at about 1/1600 second using f/11. Most cameras can successfully shoot at ISO 400 without anygreat worries about noise.